Author Topic: WELCOME ALL to the panKAT forum  (Read 10557 times)

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
WELCOME ALL to the panKAT forum
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:50:57 PM »
There is perhaps no other group of musicians more passionate than the community of pan players. The first prototype of the panKAT was introduced at the PASIC 06 Convention in Austin Texas.  Many pan players experienced for the first time a MIDI controller designed for them.  This forum is now created for a universal discussion on the panKAT.

Introducing the world of MIDI to pan players will prove to be most interesting.  The possibilities of a pan “controller” offers a new world for pan musicians.  It is my desire to create an instrument that will be a truly rewarding and musical experience for those willing to experiment and grow with this new concept. 

Since a MIDI pan is new, the direction of this instrument can go in many directions.  Your feedback, suggestions, concerns and observations will undoubtedly have a direct effect on the final released version of the panKAT.

I would like to begin by creating several specific topics for discussion. These topics will have the most immediate impact on the panKAT's first release.

Once again.  Thanks for signing on.  This is your forum.  Enjoy.

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Re: WELCOME ALL to the panKAT forum
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 02:45:13 PM »
Hey Mario - are there any videos, photos, news reports or anything from PASIC?

pan_maniac

• Alley Kat
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 06:45:24 PM »
Greetings Mario,

I am very interested in your creation.  I have many questions and I would appreciate it if you could answer them - thanks:

- Does the sound module come with the unit?
- Is the sound module inside the controller?
- Can I request a different note pattern?
- Can I request a double tenor (2 drums played at the same time)
- What kind of amplifier do you plug this into or does it come with its own amp.
- How did you get the idea for the PanKat - steel drums are not very mainstream?
- Is the unit ready for sale?

I'll look for your reply.  Looks very interesting

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
The panKAT comes with or without sounds built in.   The sound module is a standard General MIDI card, same one used in the malletKAT.

You can make the panKAT any note configuration that you want.   You can store 128 of your own kit setups.

The 30 pad layout is the sensor layout.  If you can figure out a cool note configuration for us that can be used as a double tenor, please let me know.  I can get it in there before the first release.

Amps... that depends on how loud you want to play.  I am using the Berhinger K3000FX.  Great amps for the money.

panKAT....why not?  Folks will soon realize that this is not just a pan controller.  It's a new instrument for lots of folks.  Drummers,
mallet players.

e-panman

• Cool Kat
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »
I am new to this so please bear with me.

I think I posted a quest on the wrong thread, so I'll repost here.

http://www.alternatemode.com/smf/index.php?topic=595.30

I am curious and somewhat confused.

Does someone/anyone own the IP rights to this PanKAT product?

Thanks,

???

philmck

• Cool Kat
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 04:56:20 PM »
There is perhaps no other group of musicians more passionate than the community of pan players. The first prototype of the panKAT was introduced at the PASIC 06 Convention in Austin Texas.  Many pan players experienced for the first time a MIDI controller designed for them.  This forum is now created for a universal discussion on the panKAT.

Introducing the world of MIDI to pan players will prove to be most interesting.  The possibilities of a pan “controller” offers a new world for pan musicians.  It is my desire to create an instrument that will be a truly rewarding and musical experience for those willing to experiment and grow with this new concept. 

Since a MIDI pan is new, the direction of this instrument can go in many directions.  Your feedback, suggestions, concerns and observations will undoubtedly have a direct effect on the final released version of the panKAT.

I would like to begin by creating several specific topics for discussion. These topics will have the most immediate impact on the panKAT's first release.

Once again.  Thanks for signing on.  This is your forum.  Enjoy.

e-panman

• Cool Kat
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 01:29:01 PM »
Hi philmck,

Is your post in answer to my question?

Because elswhere this is another similar technology that is patent pending.

http://www.electricsteeldrums.com/

Just curious and wondering.

???