Author Topic: New PanKAT NOW SHIPPING  (Read 19094 times)

Stephen

• Web Guy
  • Administrator
  • The Kat's Meow
  • I just can't think of anything to say.
    • Alternate Mode
New PanKAT NOW SHIPPING
« on: January 23, 2007, 04:24:40 PM »
CLICK HERE http://www.alternatemode.com/pankat.shtml

UPDATE 2/7: The PanKAT's pads have been adjusted to be larger/closer together.  This allows for more playability and better accuracy during fast playing (i.e. the mallets/sticks do not get stuck between the pads) 

Here's how it looks now (there are more new images at the link above):

Welcome to Alternate Mode’s newest family member...
panKAT WS (With Sounds)
THE WORLD'S FIRST MIDI PAN CONTROLLER
Now SHIPPING

ORDER PanKAT or PanKAT WS

• Special tunings for Pan players

• One-piece, 30 pad design, plus 2 virtual controller wheels

• GM sound engine included for instant plug n play! (128 sounds)

• PanKAT also includes multiple steel drum instrument samples for various software samplers for use with a PC or Receptor.

• Same responsive, pressure sensitive FSR sensors as all KAT controllers

• 128 factory kits for turnkey performance with any GM sound module.

• 128 user kits for programming your own kit configurations.

• Headphone output for private practice

• Power to layer the keyboard with independent MIDI control

• Special performance features including dampening, deadstroking, poly/mono modes, velocity shifting, alternate notes per pad, pitch bend on the fly, warp arpeggiator, loop control functions, and much more.

• 2 programmable inputs used for control,
or HiHat & Bass Drum pedals

• Ongoing software upgrades: The PanKAT will continue to evolve.

Order PanKAT or PanKAT WS
Now Shipping

PanKAT $1799
PanKAT WS $1999
Both include padded bag

PanKAT Stand $144
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:04:49 PM by MarioKAT »

Chris Jude

• The Kat's Meow
  • edrumming enthusiast
    • eDrumming.com
Re: New PanKAT
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:07:47 AM »
O.K.  That just looks cool.

What are the dimensions?

I kinda like the notion of using it to control StylusRMX too.

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 09:34:31 PM »
Hey Chris,

The panKAT is 25" flat to flat, 28" point to point.   The panKAT is using the circuit board from the malletKAT 6.    Just about every feature of the malletKAT is in there, not to mention new features like the pitch pan configurations.  We just loaded in about a dozen configs....things like diminished scales, pentatonic scales, pans in fourths, gm drum kits, etc.   I just can't wait to get it out there!

Chris Jude

• The Kat's Meow
  • edrumming enthusiast
    • eDrumming.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:21:36 AM »
Awesome!  This might sound a bit goofy, but what does it weigh?  I'm thinking about hitting up Matt Patterson to see if we can make an interchangeable carrier to slip a DrumKat, MalletKat Express and PanKat on and off of.  Ultimately I'm wondering if we could have a universal mount that allows them all to snap on and off of stands onto a carrier rig and back. 

benjammin

• The Kat's Meow
    • B Jammin
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
Trigger Inputs?

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 10:44:51 PM »
I believe the panKAT is a mere 12 pounds.  It is made out of aluminum, but a heavier grade than the Express.

The two foot controller inputs can be converted into a bass drum and hihat inputs.   This turns the panKAT into a 30 pad space age drum set!

imouch

• Alley Kat
Re: New PanKAT (Update 2/7)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »
...aaaahhh!!  That's what 'I' was hoping for; using it as a drumkit controller...!!  How about the ability/pad sensitivity in using it for HAND drumming ??

Vkat

• The Kat's Meow
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 10:36:12 PM »
...aaaahhh!!  That's what 'I' was hoping for; using it as a drumkit controller...!!  How about the ability/pad sensitivity in using it for HAND drumming ??

Yes, I forgot I had asked about this too, several months ago, but got no answer.
http://www.alternatemode.com/smf/index.php?topic=1320.0

dave edwards

• Alley Kat
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 04:39:57 PM »
Hi,

can someone do a review of Pankat for Steelbands North newsletter which I edit please. Print run of 600, readership 1500? all pan players, mostly in north east England, but also US, Trinidad, Europe.  Are there any British players yet?  Thanks . dave@steelbandsnorth.org.uk

Chris Jude

• The Kat's Meow
  • edrumming enthusiast
    • eDrumming.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 09:18:09 PM »
I believe the panKAT is a mere 12 pounds.  It is made out of aluminum, but a heavier grade than the Express.

The two foot controller inputs can be converted into a bass drum and hihat inputs.   This turns the panKAT into a 30 pad space age drum set!
Very nice.

Hi,

can someone do a review of Pankat for...
Ditto for eDrumming.com.  We've created a blank review template for the panKAT in the "Reviews" section of the site for any registered users to post a review:  http://www.edrumming.com/index.php?categoryid=9

We'd also like to encourage feedback in the forums from panKAT users.

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 02:10:30 PM »
Thanks.   I will contact you as soon as everything is done.

We are going to start shipping tomorrow to the brave souls that can't wait for me to finish the manual.

On Monday we chould have the "getting started guide" and a Video Help Desk for the panKAT.

PanKAT 1.0 will not have every Feature of the malletKAT 6.1.   I need to get more feedback before we implement some of the more obscure features (RTC,Reassignments).  Even the virtual pitch wheel will  be modified. 

I'm really loving the panKAT.  It plays great.   I might even be a pan player one day afterall.

I

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
Re: New PanKAT NOW SHIPPING
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 05:26:31 PM »
The panKAT's sensitiivity is good for hand playing.  But the layout would be weird because you have to lean into the panKAT to get at the pads without having your arms touching a pad.

Also, if I were to make a handKAT, the pads would make different sounds depending on the amount pressure on other pads.
Imagine bongo playing,  your right hands strokes sound different by whats happening with your left hand.

Look,  if Alternate Mode succeeds with the panKAT, trapKAT Turbo and a few other secrets coming out.... I promise to make a hand controller.   I really would love one also....

philmck

• Cool Kat
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 05:00:29 PM »
I am a steel drum tenor player and I'm presently learning the double seconds for one reason  --the greater sound range. If the PANKAT can have the range altered to above or below, especially below middle C then I would be interested. Can the range be changed, say , before playing a song in a different key?

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 05:24:54 PM »
Check out the manual, here: http://alternatemode.net/panKATmanual/panKATmanual2_05.pdf
Changing octaves is easily controlled, as is reconfiguring the tuning entirely.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 05:28:26 PM by pljones »

bassman

• Cool Kat
    • Youth Orchestra of Calypsonic e.V Dortmund
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 06:27:26 AM »
Dear pljones,
you said: "Changing octaves is easily controlled, as is reconfiguring the tuning entirely" - Hmm...
I would say it's true for the changing of octaves, but reconfiguring ??? I'm working on it for two weeks now and I'm not new to MIDI.
Since about a decade it is quite comon to edit your midi-equippement using a software. But doing it with two sticks and a footswitch?  Well, on the positive side, you have a four lines display, that is better than that red two digits display, does anyone remember those days? Just lately I connected the pankat to my 1993 Yamaha TG 300 that was collecting dust somewhere in the studio. And looking at the display I was surprised to see the 15 years old grafic user interface. So if you are well ahead in the art of reconfiguring the pankat please give us some of your knowledge, because the manual and the vidoes don't say much about it. For instance:
How can I keep the odinary pan-layout in fifth but chance the position of the lowest note, without doing it 30 times from the scratch ???

Thanks a lot, best regards, DerWerNer
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:31:07 AM by bassman »