Author Topic: need info for the pankat  (Read 9615 times)

sunmoon

• Cool Kat
need info for the pankat
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:57:36 PM »
Hi
anyone know where i can hear  pankat mp3s (steel drum)?
the only ones i could find don't have the actual steel drum sound being played
video would also be helpful
and...
Can a pan be built that houses the pankat so the look will still have the look of an actual steel drum
I've seen this done with pianos-you have the piano shell with a digital controller inside-this way-it never goes out of tune-sounds great all the time but still has the look of an actual steel drum
thanks!

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
Re: need info for the pankat
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:51:47 PM »
The panKAT is a MIDI controller.  It plays whatever synth that you have.   The panKAT WS version has
a General MIDI sound card in it.  That means stock sounds.  It does not have a series of pan sounds in it.

We will be offering Pan Instruments for Samplers in the Months ahead.   We also have some video shoots
planned for the end of March.

The whole idea of a panKAT is to have a super light weight (12 lbs) instrument that can expand your
sound vocabulary to virtually anything under the sun.  We think it looks quite cool as it is, and doesn't have
to hide itself inside a steel pan.

sunmoon

• Cool Kat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 12:50:37 AM »
If I connect my pankat to a korg tr rack module and select the steel drum sound-will the notes default to the proper pads on the pankat?
In other words-will the notes match the placement of notes of a real steel drum?
I know there are different steel drums etc. I would want my module to be the lead pan.
thanks!

Chris Jude

• The Kat's Meow
  • edrumming enthusiast
    • eDrumming.com
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 06:23:34 AM »
If I connect my pankat to a korg tr rack module and select the steel drum sound-will the notes default to the proper pads on the pankat?
In other words-will the notes match the placement of notes of a real steel drum?
I know there are different steel drums etc. I would want my module to be the lead pan.
thanks!
In short, it can.
There will be default mappings for standard pan configurations (middle ring matching outer but one octave above, proper orientation, etc.).  But you could also map out any configuration you want!  Like ordering up a custom pan any time you want too.  You can have a standard tenor/lead, chromatic, diatornic, 3rds and 5ths, 4ths and 5ths, left-handed, bass, combo, etc., etc., etc., and swith between all.  The next moment it can be any other instrument, arrangement, and/or sound pallet you want too.

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 08:36:39 PM »
Thanks Chris.

Could not have said it better!

The  Video Help Desk for the panKAT is now done.   You can check it out at

http://alternatemode.net/pan_flv_player/panflvplayer1.html

Chris Jude

• The Kat's Meow
  • edrumming enthusiast
    • eDrumming.com
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:54:25 AM »
...The┬  Video Help Desk for the panKAT is now done.┬  ┬ You can check it out at

http://alternatemode.net/pan_flv_player/panflvplayer1.html
Great tutorials.  And I love the quick and compact video player.

bassman

• Cool Kat
    • Youth Orchestra of Calypsonic e.V Dortmund
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 01:52:13 PM »
Hallo  :)
just got my PanKAt WS yesterday from drum-tec.de here in Germany and I'm getting into business with this new controler.
Some facts to my musical background: I'm a pan-player and I am into MIDI since 1983, later on with a Yamaha WX-7, FM, AWM.
First thing I did, when I switched on the PanKAT, was going to program #114, Steeldrum. -
I won't do it again. 200 $ for an antique SoundChip? Save that money and buy a external SoundModul!
That was a real false start, so nothing can shock me anymore...
Next thing I have difficulties with is the layout of the notes. I play the TenorPan with the lowest note at 3 o'clock position.
Going throught the manual I couldn' figure out up to now how to change from lowest note at 6 o'clock. Obviously it can't be done within the first three day, because in the video Harry Best has turned his instrument 90┬░ clockwise. That's a quick trick but than you have to put the PanKAT on a table and can't play it on a stand, at least without drilling new holes in the back. So please show me the way.

Rereading my first posting to this forum it sounds a bit more embarressed than I want it to. So please don't take it wrong. I was close to building a prototype myself, using several Yamaha DTS70 units. The PanKAT gives me the opportunity to already experience this idea and I'm curious to find out where it will take me to. Please give me some info on how to reassign the pads the way I'm used to and I'll be happy using the internal #11 Vibes for a start ;)

Thanks a lot, best regards, DerWerNer
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:20:17 AM by bassman »

panwest1

• Alley Kat
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »
Bassman:
I happen to hang my pan with D at the 6 o'clock position. The stand that came with the pankat limited me in terms of making tha adjustment, so I created a very simple stand that allowed to put the pankat in just about any orientation. But that doesn't matter now because Mario says he has a new chip with my orientation. You might want to ask him about it.