Author Topic: Recommended Synths  (Read 13260 times)

gobarb

• Cool Kat
Recommended Synths
« on: September 28, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »
I currrently own the PanKat with sounds but am dissapointed in the steel drum sound that it came with.  What synths are giving the most authentic sounds in your opinion?

dave_b

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • Being funny is not anyone's first choice. W.Allen
    • Dave's homepage
Re: Recommended Synths
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:49:23 PM »
If your PC is fairly current, you might consider using a software sampler.  I've heard Peter's Trapkat with Kontakt and it sounds fantastic.  I think you could expect similar results with your Pan.

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 03:43:37 AM »
If you want to buy something more rugged than a domestic PC, you could look at a Receptor.  AM do one (or two?) and there are other options (I believe Native Instruments do one themselves with a ton of gear preloaded).  I don't believe any come with decent pan samples, though.

I did a bit of a search for samples.  That came back with all kinds of non-music related stuff.  So I did a search for "soundfont" instead.  If you don't know what a soundfont is, just shout.

Stolen sounds here:
http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl?action=view_category&category=Percussive&ListStart=0&ListLength=15 (last but one on page)
http://freespace.virgin.net/jr.bowden/soundfnt.htm (look for "steel")

Possibly not stolen ones here:
http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl?action=view_category&category=Collections&ListStart=60&ListLength=15 (last but one on page)

Probably not stolen ones (as they're selling them):
http://www.reasonbanks.com/pvitamin_map1.html (part of a complete GM bank)

I can't comment on the suitability of any of them.

One of the bits I found while searching for samples...
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7030305.html

benjammin

• The Kat's Meow
    • B Jammin
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 08:13:24 PM »
I can't belive a PanKat w/ sounds has crappy steel drum sounds!!! What's up w/ that?!

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
Recording a sample library isn't cheap.  It's (incredibly) time consuming for a start, then there's the hiring equipment and players, etc.  Steel drums aren't commonly sampled, unfortunately.  So, although the PanKAT WS comes with sounds, it comes with "standard" pan sounds... which I can believe could be a bit poor, although I've not heard them so I can't really comment.

MrBoots

• Cool Kat
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 06:45:54 AM »
I was equally disapointed wiith the sounds as well, but Mario will tell you upfront that the GM steel drum is weak (the WS is a $200 add on that is great for practicing as a stand alone unit but nothing more).  I am using a ROLAND JV1080 with a World instrument card that sounds pretty authentic. I will post some sounds after Thanksgiving to give you an idea (computer with recording software is being upgraded).  Keep in mind the JV1080 was used for a lot of film scoring back in the 90s.  I purchased the unit on E-bay for $245 and the World card cost me an additional $45 for a total investment of $290.  I originally bought the small Ketron unit but returned it after about a week due to the steel drum samples. Great piano sounds if you need them. The JV1080 World card has some pretty wild stuff like African drum logs  etc. but the Steel Pan has two settings, with one having a bit more reverb attached.  I practice  witth the  second setting, Roland World patch 30, but use patch 29 when actually playing out.  The only other comment I would make is that Mario has been wonderful to work with.  I purchased the 4th Pankat he made and he  spent a lot of time explaining how the unit was set up and how to maximize the features. I also bought  a used DrumKat on E-bay and had it repaired at Allternate Mode. Great people to do business with all through out the business because they are all about the musician. 

Stephen

• Web Guy
  • Administrator
  • The Kat's Meow
  • I just can't think of anything to say.
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 04:26:48 PM »
I can't belive a PanKat w/ sounds has crappy steel drum sounds!!! What's up w/ that?!

Just to clarify, and as MrBoots has said, Mario will admit this up front, the PanKAT WS is for the player who wants sounds right out of the box, or to have working sounds to practice with when not plugged into a better source, etc.  That's why we also sell the PanKAT without sounds.   Believe me, if we could use better sound cards in our instruments we would, but it's still not an option for us.  We've been looking over the years for better options, and chances are it will happen eventually, but it's not in the cards just yet.   :)

Min

• Alley Kat
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:41:55 PM »
Hello everyone, i hope this finds you well, what do you guys think the market is on Steel Drum / Pan Sample Libraries are? Have you found any? I have made one which i think sounds a lot like the Pan because they're recorded live from real pans, therefore you have the exact resonance and feel of the pan.

I did this for a project of mine, and was wondering if you guys knew of anyone i could talk to at PanKat to sell this to. My Sample Library at the moment has the Tenor, Double Seconds, Single Second Section (which is rarely used anymore), Double Guitars, Quads (not quite 4 pan  cello), and 6 Bass.

Get back to me asap on this!!

you can contact me @ minesh_shah_sylvester@hotmail.com

spottyscotty

• Nothing beats hitting rubber membranes repeatedly
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 03:48:07 AM »
... chances are it will happen eventually, but it's not in the cards just yet.   :)

Hello John,

Talking of things that will 'eventually happen', do you have any news 'in the cards' for us [neglected?] folk over at the TrapKat Turbo forum? A response to blafarm's "Managing Customer Expectations" thread would be welcome in some quarters. (Even if you give bad news, it might be received as being better than 'corporate silence' ...  :))

Just curious ...

Cheers,
SpottyScotty
Wannabe TK Turbo owner. No, really.

benjammin

• The Kat's Meow
    • B Jammin
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:25:58 PM »
Well, it's cool that someone is offering up a Steel Pan library! I want to hear it!

MrBoots

• Cool Kat
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 11:00:59 AM »
Well, it's cool that someone is offering up a Steel Pan library! I want to hear it!

Ben - I found this link when searching for some samples but did not download yet.

http://www.phunkynutts.com/steeldrum.php

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 04:30:36 PM »
Anyone who purchases a panKAT automatically receives the Alternate Mode Sample Library.
It has about 4 Gigs of Instruments.  Lots of Pans, Marimbas and Ethnic Percussion.

These are in KONTACT format.  The wavs are included, so that you can use these samples anyway you like

dave_b

• Being funny is not anyone's first choice. W.Allen
    • Dave's homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »
Well, look who the kat dragged in.   ;D  Welcome back, Mario!