Author Topic: My BFD and TrapKat Hi-Hat Settings  (Read 6771 times)

Jovato

• The Kat's Meow
My BFD and TrapKat Hi-Hat Settings
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:33:08 PM »
The following work great for me.  Your mileage may vary.  I use pads 1 and 4 for hi-hat tip samples and 11 and 14 for hi-hat shank samples.  You may not want to give up that many pads just to the hi-hat.

In the TrapKat:
Hi-Hat mode off. No pads set as hi-hat pads.
Foot control set to CC04F
Train the HatPedal
Splash mode value of 3 works well for me
I found it worked better for me to map the pads to the default midi note values in BFD.  You do it once, and then no problems switching kits or running multiple instances in other channels.  When you check "use -2 octive" in BFD, the Trapkat note values will be one octive higher...ie A-1 on BFD equals A0 on the Trapkat.  Set the hi-hat tip pad (in my case pads 1 and 4) to the default variable tip note value in BFD.  If memory serves me correctly it is A#1 in BFD, so it would be A#2 on the TrapKat.  Set the hi-hat shank pad (in my case pads 11 and 14) to an unused not value.  This is the only pad you will use the BFD learn function for.  I set Pad Volume and Minimum Velocity values to their lowest settings.  I use the dynamics setting in BFD bring the minimum volume up.  I set the threshold to the lowest possible setting without the pads triggering themselves.

In BFD:
Use -2 Octive numbering.  Use the learn function to learn the Var Shank pad.  Do not check the Auto Pedal Event, Auto splash, or All hi-hats Variable options.  Set the hi-hat retrigger threshold to 1/32T.

Obviously this not the only way to go about skinning this Kat.  However, these settings provide excellent hi-hat response for me including foot chick and heel splash with smooth transition between open, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and closed samples on both tip and shank.  Good luck and I hope this helps.  Nothing else I tried worked.         

Jovato

• The Kat's Meow
Re: My BFD and TrapKat Hi-Hat Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:29:56 PM »
Well,

I'm glad I wrote all of this down last year.  I'm back to using BFD Jazz 'n' Funk (this time with a new Trapkat XL and a new Turbo Receptor), and I'm happy to say that this approach still gives flawless hi-hat response with the Trapkat.

jazztoad

• Cool Kat
Re: My BFD and TrapKat Hi-Hat Settings
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:41:38 AM »
Did you try using the HatNote settings?  If so, they must not have worked well for you.