Author Topic: Affordability ???  (Read 21564 times)

dave_b

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • Being funny is not anyone's first choice. W.Allen
    • Dave's homepage
Re: Affordability ???
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »
I buy most of my stuff from Newegg.  Not for any particular reason, though.  The Lanbox case came from Amazon just because they had it in stock but, as I've mentioned, I can't recommend it. 

On the same topic, I'm going to stop using the Drum Rack in Ableton Live after we play this weekend.  As I've transistioned to e-drums, I realize it's not quite ready for the task. 

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 02:20:05 PM »
I'm running it (well, the one true original ns_kit7 ;)) in Kontakt2.  Dunno if that's still available retail anywhere but you might find someone trying to shift it cheap.  It's less buggy than Halion, apparently. (Although Douglas made some errors transcribing the Halion mappings into Kontakt2 -- I don't know if the repaired mappings made it onto the NDK DVDs.)

jrcel

• Drumkat Turbo, DFH Superior, Emulator X, Dauz pads
    • Jim Lofrano
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »
You can't stay in business selling to rock star keyboardists, it's a very small market. Most players aren't going to buy this having already laid out at least a grand on a keyboard, movie composers won't because you can't run full versions of say Vienna Orchestra. And it's old technology. My pc is Quad Core 45nm  8gb of ram 64 bit Vista and I paid $668 from Tiger Direct. You can always buy an aluminum or steel rack mount case for any pc.

Vkat

• The Kat's Meow
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:33:14 PM by Vkat »

suavekeith

• The Kat's Meow
  • DrumKat 3.8, DKFH Superior, DM5
    • www.CajonDrumming.com
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »
That looks great, thanks for pointing it out looks cheaper than a new laptop. Seems funny that we've moved from external modules to computers back to external modules.

jrcel

• Jim Lofrano
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »
I looked at this a while ago and it looks good but you can't treak in the box so if something comes up on a gig you're screwed unless the pc is there. I use Emulator X2 which still requires Emu hardware although that's no longer the case with the release of X3. Yeah I mean the writing on the wall for sure, I'll just be waiting until they become more capable and the price to come down and I'm there. As far as Receptor though when you go to the site you see pure performance muscle and then look at the specs, Dual Core processor, really? Many of the new 64 bit softsynths coming out require Quad core and most pros are moving to 8 core Mac Pro so this thing is way behind the curve. Personally I think it's a waste of money.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:29:14 PM by jrcel »

jrcel

• Jim Lofrano
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 04:17:50 PM by jrcel »

dave_b

• Dave's homepage
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
That's the same case and monitor I use, although I picked the silver case since it's aluminum and about half the weight.

spottyscotty

• Nothing beats hitting rubber membranes repeatedly
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 07:39:26 PM »
As far as Receptor though when you go to the site you see pure performance muscle and then look at the specs, Dual Core processor, really? ... Personally I think it's a waste of money.
It's also behind the curve in terms of the software plugins it can run. Although AM offer a version of Receptor, it only runs older versions of drum sampling software. BFD2? Superior 2? Forget it. Apparently to implement Superior 2.0, for example, Muse need to rewrite their OS. Hasn't happened yet; doesn't look like happening, period.

And on top of that problem, Muse are contending with other dissatisfied musos; such as guitarists who are frothing at the mouth because they (Muse) have not yet worked out how to run Amplitube 2.0 on the Receptor ....

Basic conundrum here: there's only one Muse Research (who use Linux for their OS), but there are dozens/hundreds of sophisticated plugin developers who are not writing their script for Linux. Muse simply cannot keep up.

At present, (sadly) I can only see Receptor becoming defunct, especially since there are competitors now arriving to undercut it.

Cheers,
Spottyscotty

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:41:34 PM by spottyscotty »

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »
Not true.   I know for a fact that they are getting very close to releasing both BFD2 and Superior 2 on the Receptor 2.

Ocean Way Drums are available, but it's real hard to justify the price.

Before long, we are going to be talking about the Receptor as the quintessential virtual drum module

spottyscotty

• Nothing beats hitting rubber membranes repeatedly
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
Not true.   I know for a fact that they are getting very close to releasing both BFD2 and Superior 2 on the Receptor 2.

Excellent!! (About time too)!

I will be very happy to stand corrected.

Mario, do you mind if I quote that over on the Muse Research forum? (Where currently the story reads quite differently, BTW):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245201
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204541

Cheers,
Spottyscotty

jrcel

• Jim Lofrano
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 09:06:47 PM »
I can only speak for myself, a rack mount 4 or 8 core pc with full versions of Superior 2.0 or BFD 2.0.

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 03:27:06 PM »
more 'revival' postings on this topic....

so, here are some that Sweetwater shows for a little less $$ (but not much less):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Receptor+2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=keyboards&utm_term=receptor_2&gclid=CJ666tSIu54CFc5L5Qod8jQzpA

there's 3 in the $2000 range...So, for myself with Stylus RMX, Battery 3, and Superior Drummer 2.0 (and various expansions for 2.0 / EZD) already on my PC at home....is it too difficult to get these programs (which I already own) onto a new Receptor?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

dave_b

• Dave's homepage
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »
Somehow I thought there were special versions for the Receptor.  That's mostly based on Peter saying it runs Linux.  You may be dealing with a 'crossgrade' fee if you want special versions but my knowledge on this is about the same as everything else I chime in on.   :) 

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 02:22:25 AM »
Definitely speak to the Receptor folks first -- you can't just assume anything that runs on a PC will run on Receptor.  Some software needs a "Receptor version" because of the copy protection used, for example.  You could check on their website, too, last time I considered one.