Author Topic: muse receptor/drum kat  (Read 12587 times)

jyuno

• Cool Kat
muse receptor/drum kat
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »
ok you guys ..im not expecting much here at all but im putting it out there. i know some of yu are gear crazy and  know about alot of gear thats out there and if the gear isnt out there maybee someone who will make it!..hahha

right now i have a drum brain(roland td 8) with all the pads and triggers(triggers on 3 snares and kik )into it and then midi out to a sampler.(roland sp 808) (the reason i use the sp 808 is because i have all of my samples catagorized by songs and i can just switch to the next song but when i switch the bank the midi notes stay the same(ie. pad 2 is always midi note 49) which i havent found in any other sampler. the midi notes always change)....

anyway i have been doin mad research on trying to change up my electronic drum set up ....ultimately im lookin to have a all in one piece of gear which honestly, its sooo stupid that it is not out there already but im trying to stream line my gear...so in a perfect world i wuld have a module like a roland td20 thats not only a drum brain  but it is also a sampler...meaning i can plug all triggers(electronic pads and acoustic drummtriggers in one box as well sample all my own sounds...

so if this doesnt exist which i dont think it does and know one can build it well then so be it but i was just curious on what yu guys knew was out there...

i have been trying to incorporate a mpc 1000 into the mix which im still open for but like i said trying to streamline it and make it simple....

thinking about the muse receptor and a drum kat ... can i  plug in ddrum triggers into the drum kat ?and  can you sample your own sounds and sequences and loops into it?

thank you for your time of reading this and taking the time for your information....believe me im connecting with you guys after exstensive research to find new and inspiring ways to enhance my live set up ...once again thanks for your time...for reals i know its precious and we all be busy ....any other ideas your have im soo open......thanks again...ciao 

dave_b

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • Being funny is not anyone's first choice. W.Allen
    • Dave's homepage
Re: muse receptor/drum kat
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »
I'm rethinking my setup as I type this.  The only thing that makes sense for me at the moment is a rack for everything but the Trapkat.  That will hold my PC/monitor/keyboard/mouse, mixer, headphone amp, buttkicker (a cool thing to have!), etc.  Right now I've got too many little pieces and cables to keep track of.  Doug (bunnyman) posted a great lead on that.  Carvin has an 8U rack for about $130 shipped in the States.  That's cheaper than I could build one.

As far as software, I've mentioned it a few times here, but I'm currently using Ableton Live 7.  I've only been using it's drum rack, which amounts to a sampler for each pad.  That's only a small portion of Live's capability.  We start rehearsing No Doubt's Hella Good this week, so I'll be using the sequencer now also, which is more what Live is about. 

I'm set up differently than you.  I have all my sounds in one big "set" and I change programs on the Trapkat to switch between them.  That's a hell of a lot of samples to have available, but I don't have load times to worry about.   That's just what works for me.

Does that give you any ideas?

jyuno

• Cool Kat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
so how many differnt programs do you have and does the drum kat have available?.......
that sounds like a reasonable switch if it works...
also i have tried live but with the ddrum triggers i have had horrible latency(using a mbox 2for my audio interface)
another question...can i plug my ddrum triggers into the drum kat and have control of the notes and parameters of those as well...?
and to clarify you are using the drum sampler not just putting yur samples in the clip window ...

thanks for your time...

dave_b

• Dave's homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 05:49:13 PM »
I'm interested.  Do you know how large the wavs are?  I'd prefer those if possible. 

Any interest in the samples for Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man"?  I made a set, using the original songs where possible.  You can basically play it by yourself.   :) 

jyuno

• Cool Kat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 06:38:37 PM »
please advise what kind of audio interface are you using to not have latency problems as well are yu using triggers on your live drums...thanks...z

dave_b

• Dave's homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 07:58:54 PM »
I'm using an M-Audio Delta66.  It's old as dirt and audio gurus will thumb their nose at it, but it's always worked fine for me.  The rest is in my sig.  :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:19:32 PM by dave_b »

dave_b

• Dave's homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:38:00 AM »
Dave By the way....   diggin the new avatar, Ben-meister!    :)
Thanks, Tim.  Yep, I'm one of those Lost people.   ;D

PM on the way.

Dave

jrcel

• Drumkat Turbo, DFH Superior, Emulator X, Dauz pads
    • Jim Lofrano
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 05:30:55 PM »
It sounds like you want a Roland SPD-S multi pad. It's inexpensive and with a Smart Media card will hold 512meg of sounds. Kat should do something like it using the DK-10 as a base.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 05:33:18 PM by jrcel »

dave_b

• Dave's homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »
I have to say, I've got a DK10 and that's an upgrade I'd be interested in.

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 04:07:32 AM »
I bet there's enough room in the DK10 case to add the MIDI sound module used in the MKws.  Then it's just a matter of hacking the wiring...

dave_b

• Dave's homepage
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 01:46:11 PM »
There's a lot of room in there.  The motherboard takes up less than a 1/3 of of the box, IIRC.

tutibueno

• Cool Kat
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 12:34:04 AM »
jyuno,

Yes, you can plug up to 9 triggers in the drumkat. You'll also have all the functionalities of a drumkat's pad for all the 9 trigger.

As a Roland fan, lets say you have an Octapad and you want to give it a real power. You can tell the drumkat to link the midinote coming from the Octapad pad  to any pad of any kit from the drumkat (32 kits for 3.8 and 48 kits for 4.5 Turbo). The drumkat is the most powerful midi controller ever built period.

Tuti

jrcel

• Drumkat Turbo, DFH Superior, Emulator X, Dauz pads
    • Jim Lofrano
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
Personally to increase sales they sould try to put a quality synth engine into their products. They could justify the cost by saying everything you need is in there, ready to go. Release your imagination, just push on.