Author Topic: Please tell me how to...  (Read 13621 times)

bassman

• Cool Kat
    • Youth Orchestra of Calypsonic e.V Dortmund
Please tell me how to...
« on: January 20, 2009, 03:08:47 PM »
Dear MarioKAT and all you experienced KATs,
is there anyone who could help me to do the following with my PanKat:
( I feel that it is possible, but I don't find my way through the menues)
I reassigned a user kit to the kind of pan I want to play, that is a C-Tenor
starting at 3 o'clock. Now I think it is possible to use footswitch 1 to go from
controller 1 to controller 2 which I want to play one octave below.
I wish I had a navigation device for the PanKat like in my car! ;-)
And what makes things a bit more difficult:
The trick should be working next Friday, 16.00 h GMT +1...
Thanks a lot in advance!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:25:31 PM by bassman »

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
Re: Please tell me how to...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:16:24 PM »
There is only ONE Reassignment per User Kit.   That means that if you use the Reassigment on Controller One instead of
the preset config, controller two must be assigned a preset config.

You got a good point.  There isn't enough memory to allow two reassignments in one kit BUT, perhaps I can get the engineer to make footswitch sustain two play controller one one octave lower.    This would solve your problem right?

bassman

• Cool Kat
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 04:04:06 AM »
Hallo, MarioKAT,
that's good news, even though it is'nt right now but it sure will be!  ;)
Your idea is exactly what I'm looking for. We (PanGanG) use the PanKat to emulate QuadroPans and sometimes you need to go a little lower for some notes.
I could tell you more of my adventures with this excellent midi-controller if you want me to. As a pan-player you see things different than someone who is able to handle the software. But nevertheless the PanKat is a dream-machine!

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:19:28 AM »
I am not a pan player, so I am at a disadvantage with working on feature sets.   Basically, the panKAT is a malletKAT with all of
the malletKAT's software.  The only real difference is that the pads can be configured automatically with different pitch layouts.  The reassignment and drum layout was created so that you can make configurations that I didn't think of.

Your suggestions are important and YES I would like to hear more.    Do you have any videos of yourself playing?

A thought just came in.   Try to use the Reassignment on Controller One then set up controller two to a "drum config".  Use the notes you want an octave lower.  It just might work.   I'll try to get to it this weekend.

Please call me at 877-933-6237 if you want to chat.  My skype account is altmode

bassman

• Cool Kat
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:31:46 AM »
Two things first: I'm not from Trinidad and I'm not a steelpan virtuoso.
I'm a music teacher from Germany working with children and steelpans since 1999.
My main midi instrument was the Yamaha WX-7 wind controller.
So anything I say about pan layout is not the knowledge of those who invented pan
and to whom I pay my respect.
If you chose to play the PanKat as a tenor player you already know where your notes should be.
That means mostly cycle of 5th layout. There is the Invader's layout out too.
If you want more info on pan building and tuning go to http://www.scribd.com/doc/6011669/Pan-Tuning
This is Ulf Kronman's book "Steel Pan Tuning" as a download.
Pan is still on it's way to standardisation but the tenor pan is advanced most. Therefore it doesn't make much sense for a tenor player to have all these scale and chord layouts the current software version gives us. We know how to play our instrument. But what would make sense is the possibility to easily rotate the layout. Some start with the lowest note at 6 o'clock some have it at 3 or 9 o'clock position. By the way: Referring to a watch would make the handbook more easily to read than using numbers from 1 to 30.
"End of chorus one" ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:34:04 AM by bassman »

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »
Ok,  I got an idea.

On a spreadsheet, make a column and name it 1-30 representing the 30 pads.  On the column to the right, name the pitch you want us to put there.  Name that column so we can identify what this configuration should be called.   I'll forward your spreadsheet to our engineer and we will add these configurations to the panKAT.   I'll send you a free chip for your efforts!!!!

The interesting thing is that lots of players are using the panKAT not as a pan controller, but as a cool looking percussion controller.    I used two of them at Radio City Music Hall this Christmas Show as a "toy chest".  I labeled the pads with removable stencils.  I used it for Bass Drum, Sleigh Bells, etc.

I don't know how to play pans.  I'm a mallet player.  I started to learn but decided I rather play the malletKAT!

dave_b

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • Being funny is not anyone's first choice. W.Allen
    • Dave's homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »
Removable stencils?  Like Avery labels?  I need to label my DK10 the same way.

bassman

• Cool Kat
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:13:39 AM »
"a cool looking percussion controller"
that's a bit on the hard side for a pan player, but, why not...

My opinion is that your PanKat can be more: A real midi-steelpan doing it's job in all voices of the steel orchestra!
If you know how to play Tenor (=Soprano) Pan you can use it to play a solo that is audible through the band, emulate pans you don't have in your band setup, and as a perfect bass-machine! As a steel band conductor you have litterally the controller for the whole orchestra.
That's what your baby is for a panplayer who's playing the coolest instrument on earth...
T & T already developed the e-pan, Len Boogsie Sharpe tested it! The PanKat can have a market as a pan emulator, but it's basic function, besides all gimmicks, should be that of a Pan that a musician can manage. We live in the 21st century - a midi instrument without an editor? Back to the eighties of the last millennium? I started with two red digits, that was hell on stage! Four lines are an improvement, but please don't leave us there!
I'm sure there will be sampled steel orchestras in the near future, so educate your invention, panplayers will love it.
Maybe it is possible to have a panplayer chip starting with the basic functions and growing with the years.

Meanwhile I appreciate your proposal and I'll send you the layout I'm working with. (And not only me ;))
And: Thank you very much for giving us the PanKat!  :)  :)  :)

bassman

• Cool Kat
Re: Please tell me how to. BehringerFCB1010
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 03:35:44 PM »
And if you think you have it all done, get a Behringer FCB1010, connect it to your PanKat and you're in for a real treat!  ???
I thought it would be a good idea to have all the controlling power in the tip of your toes, but these two midi entities have to talk to each other... OK, I can change programs already, but volume changes using pedal A? Using the Behringer-build-in switches for edit and sustain??
It's a real relief to take the good old e-bass, plug it in and: PLAY!
But please don't take me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm old enough to know that that's the way it is.
On the other hand: What would happen if it all worked out smoothly? Music? What a nice dream...

Keep on doing it, best regards, WerNer

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:46:54 PM »
Are you talking about controlling a PK *with sounds* using the FCB?

I'm using an FCB for switches on my TrapKAT with no problems - not yet using it for anything else, though.  I would have thought the switches would "just work" with the PanKAT, too.

bassman

• Cool Kat
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 07:20:39 PM »
You give me hope, pljones  ;)
Yes I'm using the FCB to controle a PK "with sounds", but just for programming and practicing. On stage we use a Yamaha MU100. Let's see what will happen then... ;)
But in my wildest dreams I imagine a FCB that was created for a musician: Plug and Play - haven't I heard that before??  ;)

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 03:54:51 AM »
Heh...  It's designed as a guitar stomp box for guitarists using Behringer products: it might well "plug'n'play" with those.  Everyone else needs to decode the manual and set the thing up appropriately.  On my dead PC, I've got an FCB-1010 sysex editor and some sysex files I created for using with the TrapKAT.  I'm hoping it won't be many more weeks before I'm up and running again; I'll see if I can dig the details of the setup out then.

bassman

• Cool Kat
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:26:37 AM »
Everyone else needs to decode the manual and set the thing up appropriately.
pljones, that hits the point! And it's an awful time consuming work!
But nevertheless my idea is that the FCB1010 can be a powerful shortcut for changing things in the PanKat on stage, once it is set up properly. If I succeed in getting the volume pedal working it would be like having a new PanKat! My other hope is MidiQuest but they might not be interested in such a small market as the Pankat user.
So, pljones, any help is very much appreciated!  :)

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
    • http://www.youtube.com/orbvroomer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »
I googled the FCB1010 (not familiar) & there are a couple of YT demos.It looks very useful as a multi midi foot controller.I'll go to Behringer site & get more details.If it is versatile (in it's midi implementation) it should be a very powerful addition to kat controllers.It's all in the midi specs.I'll be back if I find some useful info for us.

Midi volume is controller #7.If it sends that out (& I bet it does),your in luck,Mr. Bassman.I get it -- tenor pankat = Basman.Or is that a coincidence ?

Anybody want a one page midi spec chart ? If it scans good I'll post it.It's quite useful & may simplify some of the mystery.My friend Chris compiled it back in 91-- but the spec hasn't changed.It has been expanded- but the original specs never changed.

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
    • http://www.youtube.com/orbvroomer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 03:45:34 PM »
This is a 'mini-bible' of the midi spec.Usually you don't need to know this,but it comes up & if you are not familiar,it makes for some frustration.The code is quite simple, once you grasp it.You usually don't use hex #'s,but these are usually on the "midi implementation chart" of your midi gear.In the back of any manual,along with the rest of the specs.Here it is.