Author Topic: Please tell me how to...  (Read 13649 times)

bassman

• Cool Kat
    • Youth Orchestra of Calypsonic e.V Dortmund
Re: Please tell me how to...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 03:59:25 PM »
That sounds good, Orb Vroomer, maybe we all can manage to get things running, if we work it out together. If the PanKat and the FCB1010 know that they should communicate with controller #7 all of a sudden we can handle dynamics not only by velocity. But up to now I didn't figure out what has to be done to make the PanKat kits react to controller #7. Perhaps MarioKAT can give us a hint? ;-)

About my screen name: I'm a bass player since long (e-bass and double bass) and a big band leader. I started with steelpans 10 years ago. The fantastic thing about the PanKat is, that you can use it as a perfect teaching tool because you stand in front of your steelband and can play each voice and: You will be heard!
But to my greatest pleasure: It's a real mean bass machine!!!

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
    • http://www.youtube.com/orbvroomer
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 07:20:43 PM »
I'm glad you alerted me to this foot controller.I just might buy one.I looked through the manual & I have it downloaded for our future reference.

On my stand -up edrum kit (drumKat & midi kiti) I have (on floor) : hat pedal (same as expression or any of these types) ,fat pedal,Yamaha FC-1 (another expression pedal),& 2 footswitches. Plus 2 more switches mounted up on kit structure.

I need all those,but the FCB 1010 could serve some of the same functions,plus more.Mine are also programmable per kit ,as well,but there are extra functions on the FCB that I could utilize.

Your FCB will be controlling your sound module,as well as your pankat.They are both controller devices.Your sound module will recognize CC #7 (volume) & respond accordingly.It also gives you a range with lower & upper levels,so maybe you never want it all the way down (volume zero or off).

The pankat will also be controlled by the FCB & can select kits & other parameters.For sound modules - It sends 5 programs changes (sounds) per set-up.So you can change the sounds on 5 midi channels every time a different preset is called up on the FCB. Plus more - I just quickly read the manual.

If you have a specific function you want it to do,let me know - now I have the manual & should be able to assist you.I don't have a pankat manual,but Mario can help with that.If necessary,I'll download that as well.    Good luck programming - once you get the hang of it ,should become simpler for you.It's a lot easier than being a big band leader,I assume. Although, I am not qualified for such a position.I try & 'orchestrate' horn parts & other instruments in my seq. program.Harder than it sounds,but I'm learning.The hardest one I've tried is "The Long & Winding Road" .Lots of orch. players on that song.Even bigger than a 'big band', if I interpreted that correctly.Horn sections are awesome in live bands.Some reggae & ska have killer horn sections.And big blues bands,too.I've had the privilege of doing live sound engineering for a few bands with great horn sections.

I also ran sound for the Trinidad Steel Drum Orchestra.With real pans it was a nightmare to mic up & get a good sound in a live venue.Crazy 'hot' frequencies & trying to figure out what tones were coming from which pan players & mics.They were great,but I was having a hard night controlling the mix.Language barriers ,too.So your a 'real lean mean bass pan machine' kind of guy,eh ? I'm getting great mileage out of the 'lean mean' description.Happy pan trails to you.

bassman

• Cool Kat
    • Youth Orchestra of Calypsonic e.V Dortmund
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 04:36:51 PM »
With all of you tapping on my shoulders I invested some time again into the FCB1010 and: It does it's job! I can now switch sounds or steelpan registers with on step of my toes and the volume pedal gives a good loudness controll between 64 and 127. Great!!!
I thought I could use the two switches 1 and 2 for "edit" and "sustain", but that would mean I have to step two times to change sounds within a bank. But after all, who will edit while performing on stage? ;-)

"I also ran sound for the Trinidad Steel Drum Orchestra.With real pans it was a nightmare to mic up & get a good sound in a live venue."
That's exactly how it is, so some say you can't mike pan. But listening to recordings of Basement Recording, N.Y. you'll hear that they know the trick! (Andy Narell too...with Calypsociation...)

And one thing I shouldn't forget: Thanks to Mario for the PanKAT!!! :)

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
    • http://www.youtube.com/orbvroomer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 07:34:38 PM »
Cool B-man. I knew you'd be up in no time.

The Trinidad gig was the only time in 30 years in the biz I ever tried to mic a pan.A whole bunch of them -- I don't recall how many players exactly,but lots of players.It was hard to get a visual grip on where any tones were coming from.I'm a good engineer,but not a great one.Inexperience in certain instruments- like pans--was making it very difficult for me.It's live & you only get one chance.Even in a studio with more time & takes it would be difficult for me.I've had more experience with other South American & Central American bands ,though.Another venue booked almost exclusively Mexican bands.After a few I got it down.It's all experience & your smarts.Communication barriers.as well.I've dealt with Japanese,Russian,tons of European,Indian & all sorts of bands & styles.Tablas & sitars can be tricky,too.I think one guy was Ravi Shankar's son,but I might be mixing him up with some other famous Indian player.It was a private party & I did the same guy several times- back around 1990.He even let me tape the show once,but my friend has the dub.I should get a copy for myself.

Those experiences enriched my musical world.What a great opportunity it was--getting paid & kind of learning @ the same time.Very satisfying overall.
Nice connecting with you for a chat Mr. Bassman.Talk at you later.  Just a little PANorama of my world....orb...