Author Topic: What Kind of music are you playing?  (Read 17864 times)

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
What Kind of music are you playing?
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »
So, you play a KAT. What kind of music are you playing with it?

I noticed the similarity of genre in some of the Contest Videos. Although, I am not exactly sure what that genre is. There was a fair amount of electronic world music represented.

When I got my first TK it was to replace the big footprint my acoustic set had, and control the volume problems in smaller venues. We were playing an electronic symphony orchestra/drum corps version of centuries old hymns. Big sound. That's the direction I want to continue in and hope to get into recording.

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Re: What Kind of music are you playing?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Rock and blues jams mostly.  Jazz when anyone lets me.  I'll try anything...

vindrums

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • Drumming music with Vince
    • Drum Music Electronic
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
     Like everybody says: I hate pigeonholes! it's just drums!
     But critics reviewing my first album 'A Drummers Laugh' said,
 First tune, acid jazz, next, pop dance, grunge rock, classical, rock, acoustic guitar solo, jungle followed by r & b or blues, 70's rock, drum solo, blues, rag,.....as I said, this is a concensus of the few reviews.
   So, my contest submissions were, Something I had to play which was what they called the jungle followed by blues, and Fridge Crystals is what I call my freshman jury percussion solo.
   What's in a name? What do you call it? Being that they can usually give an artist a classification, being that I'm one artist, if you had to classify, what would you say? (I'm asking)
    I call it solo drumming or what I like better: Drumming Music!
Vince 

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 05:58:59 PM »
I suppose in the sense of the one man band thing most people who do that will try a wide array of genres and see how it all goes. Vince, you have apparently been doing this a long time. My first exposure to this kind of thing was probably Tony Verderosa. Then it was the stuff Akiro Jimba does. What he does, he does well.

pl, what do musicians say when you play jazz on a KAT?

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 06:29:39 PM »
I'm jamming over the internet -- we're all pretty weird..! :)

vindrums

• Drumming music with Vince
    • Drum Music Electronic
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
     that's exactly how it went with me. I had like three solo things I did on the KAT that mostly came doing demo stuff. Then I saw how much it cost to do a cassette, andI started thinking, I could do a whole cassette of stuff. After the cassette was made we decided to go for the CD and the distribution followed. So I'm ready to write tunes...what do I play; I'm a dance drummer but started in rock with a very brief stint of jazz in between. I couldn't even begin to approach dance tunes at the time, not enough knowledge for jazz, so I pretty much wrote a couple basic three chord rock tunes. At that point I started trying to cover all the bases and do a little of anything and everything. The ten tunes I'm working on now that I sing on sound more like they're from the same band, a mix of rock r&b blues....nothing classical or jazz, or drumsoloey.
     Akiro Jimbo was instrumental to me when I started doing this. I'm not sure if I ever mentioned in this forum before, but my e-drumming thing started before I had e-drums. It was playing dance music and either trying to sound like two guys, or trying to do what was on the record. I developed my left to play tymbali and conga and cowbell stuff independently from my set drumming. Most people were calling it songo style. Then I saw a guy in Key West....I think his name was Quint. He was playing regular drums with hands, but he had a conga instead of snare and a tumba or big conga for floor and real light cymbals, and that mellow sound was so cool, and so different. Hats were loud. When I found out I could incorporate both of these aspects (independence and percussion sounds) in my performance, I bought a KAT. Then I triggered my kit and had the kat up above the hats, for a few years and then after figuring out recording and getting a CD quality sound would be way easy if I ditched the acoustics, and then things got crazy.
      I've never played jazz gigs with the KAT, but I fooled a couple people who thought the 'acid jazz' tune was real drums. Many have died thinking I simply played drums on 'A Drummers' Laugh' ...No really, I drummed everything.
Vince

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
I'm envious of Vince and Orb and a few others that are really stretching (the envelope that is, the drumming community's envelope) - all the possibilities that midi and Kat instruments allow us. I also think that Mario D is pretty frickin awesome of a musician as well.

I myself can't seem to easily break out of the drummer situation. That's what I learned and that was all I concentrated on was drums and percussion for the first 40+ years . Now I'm definitely behind the learning curve....like teaching an old dog new tricks....heck, I played nothing but straight forward drum set for so long that double bass / multiple pedal situations are still a stretch.

I've played a DrumKat out live, but that's mostly pop/rock music...see set lists @ augustburnchicago.com -  Everyone complimented on how well the drums sounded, and that was just thru my TDW-20 and a Roland KC500 amp....just think of the coolness with a actual sound guy, through the house sound, trapKat XL, BFD or Superior, etc, etc......aaaahhhhh!
(got a little sidetracked there)

:)

oh yeah, keep forgetting to mention...REF, has some awesome sticking, and that dude Ritchie DeCarlo is also a really good drummer (for those who've not caught those videos yet)

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 06:56:42 AM »
Thank you. I appreciate that. And I'm also another old dog trying to learn new tricks and looking like a deer in the headlights with it all.

Twenty years ago I remember reading things in music magazines from drummers saying that electronics were the wave of the future and they wanted to be on board at the beginning. Wise decision. Some of the abbreviations I see here, the terms and tech-talk just flashes by me like UFOs. For those who got on board early, they caught the worms. This is not to say us old dogs cannot learn. We do. But my kids are so tech savvy it's freaky. Put an iPhone in my hands and I wouldn't know what to do with it.

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 06:57:55 AM »
Jamming over the internet  :o

How do you do that?

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »
A little piece of software called NINJAM.

It has its limitations - in the form of the music you can play mainly - and you need to be tied to the click to make it work, changing speed is ... tricky to co-ordinate.  Key changes have to fit the size of the "interval" (explained below) and so on.  You get used to it.  Most stuff just works, particularly simple stuff like straight ahead rock.  Progressive stuff with time signature changes you can forget.  It's okay for "experimental" stuff where "it doesn't matter" too much how wacky things get, too - deliberately playing musically off click and against what you're hearing is very tough.

So the explanation after that long-winded intro!

Think like this: everyone's playing to click.  They're playing to a backing track based on what everyone else just recorded.  You can pick how long that "track" is in beats, 16 = 4 bars, etc.  Every time the track finishes, everyone else starts hearing what you played (mixed with everyone but themselves) and you start hearing what they played.  So you're always one interval out of step.

For blues, set the interval to 12 bars (48 beats).  For jazz, 16 or 32 bars (64 beats; I don't know if it supports 128 beats so drop the beat per minute by half, e.g. 64 beats at 70bpm = 128 beats at 140 bpm).

The "Get jamming" link in my sig takes you to a site that archives anything where two or more people jammed for more that a few seconds.  (And "Latest jams!" is a slowly-getting-out-of-date page with some of the less unlistenable to stuff I've done.)

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »
So, it isn't like a musical conference call, but is 'live' in a certain sense? Do you all keep adding parts, or is it just those small measures and then done? I'll have to check this out.

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 06:11:32 PM »
Interesting. I had a big list in front of me so I listened to different things of others, as well. I didn't see any kind of way to know what kind of music would come up. Very inventive though.

Do you know the guys you jam with personally, or are these people you met on the web?

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »
The music is continuous, as you'll have heard - no pausing or anything, you're playing just like you normally would when jamming.  Except you have the added excitement of not knowing immediately how what you've played will go down with everyone else.

No, these are all just folks off the 'net.  A few of them have met up in "real life" (whatever that is :lol:) - there was a concert in Sweden on Monday where there were a few people playing live in an arts centre and streaming bi-directionally with NINJAM over the net, too.  I think some had only met previously online.  That was an "Experimental" concert - very weird stuff (but the drummer - on an acoustic kit, I believe - playing in the arts centre was very good).

benjammin

• The Kat's Meow
    • B Jammin
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
I've used the DrumKat w/ a reggae band, for keyboard like parts, electronic toms, and to trigger huge kick drums and auxiliary snares.

These days I'm working on it controlling Ableton Live and playing acoustic samples from Reason.

Michael S Quickenton

• The Kat's Meow
  • Up the Irons
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
Prog Acoustic Rock.

Gonna be gigging with my TrapKat by the end of the year.