Author Topic: MIDItroniX and what it means to YOU  (Read 31953 times)

Jim McDougall

• Cool Kat
Re: MIDItroniX and what it means to YOU
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2011, 11:57:39 PM »
continued as it was getting too hard to read and type

Mario, I understand that in order to ensure the economic survival of the company, you need to be able to sell to a much wider and younger audience. That audience is much more attuned to the computer world and expect any product to have a computer based visual interface. A Kat controller should probably be a VSTi that I load to Sonar, Reason etc. It talks to a black box out on the drumset that my pads, and/or DrumKat, TrapKat, MalletKat plug into.  I configure my system in the VSTi and it sends the configuration to the black box that may forward parts of it to other Kat products if attached. To make this work, it implies some changes in the existing Kat family, the most obvious being that the functionality between the three key products has to be brought to the same level. It also implies that the whole process of upgrading needs to change. Firmware updates need to be software downloads not chip changes and CPU upgrades need to be plug and play. The concept of an all-in-one board as the current families have doesn't work with the way CPU technology is moving unless update replacements drop to about 10% of their current pricing. Sensing needs to be separated from processing so that either can be upgraded independently. I understand service can be a financially rewarding part of the business but i would bet most of the people here are not running current version on their Kats because it is both too inconvenient and too expensive to do a major upgrade. I have actually scapped a third Drumkat for that reason.  That younger audience also wants better and faster but for a small upgrade price when it comes along. My windows 7 upgrade was $109 --  my hardware upgrade for it was $100 for a new motherboard and CPU.
But to upgrade a DrumKat 3.5 to 4.5 turbo is $279 and I have to send in the unit. The DrumKat I scrapped would have been $850 to upgrade to just 3.8.  The new audience is computer literate and savy. They will expect to upgrade the same way one upgrades the video adapter in a PC, unplug the old card, plug in the new.  If I have to gut a Kat to get a new version, I fully expect it to be a one-time occurence and from that point on it will be downloadable software updates and the occaisional card swap for a newer CPU and it will never have to go back to service for anything but a real repair.

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 04:10:12 PM »
All of the KAT controllers are tired.....The micro processors are slow and chip based.  Upgrades require circuit board changes or chip changes and are cumbersome and expensive to implement. Their chip memory capability is at their peak

The reason why these controllers have lasted so long.. longer than any other electronic product on the market.... was because the software was so powerful and years ahead of itself.  Even to this day, they are the most responsive controllers on the market.

Imagine what can be done now.  VST controllers, USB Interfaces, software based sound modules, faster ipads......all of it.  That's why we created MIDItroniX.   We want another shot of making the best controllers ever created.  But this time, we are offering our technology to companies that can afford to properly market and distribute.  There are just so many hats I personally can wear, especially when all I really want to do is to make muisic

So now we are now working on 16 projects.  It's hard to imagine and yes perhaps a bit too ambitious.   BUT..... some of these will be available soon
the inHEAD, and HOTspot for example.   The  malletKAT 7 with the amazing Kurzweil sound engine.   The DITI are all scheduled for 2011.

I just can't wait to tell you what we are doing, but for reasons that should be obvious..... I can't

Hang in there folks.   We are going to change the Electronic Drum and Percussion World

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »
oh yeah.......I forgot to mention

WE ARE NOT DISCONTINUING ANYTHING...........SO DON'T FREAK OUT

It's only going to get better     ;D

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
New-tech versions of the existing controllers would be utterly awesome (to use an over-used expression ;)).  A key update would be adding a USB interface...  Friendlier, interactive configuration software!  Being able to issue firmware updates over the 'net!  If a board change gave the existing controllers another 20 years of life, that would be a historic achievement, I think.  (Getting all the existing controllers onto a single design would probably be good, too, and keep on-going development costs down.)

gmbydmit

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • legend in my own mind!
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 12:54:03 AM »

flavor32

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 01:21:32 PM »
Alrighty...2012 now...any news on the amazing DITI interface? :-)

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »
Indeed. 2012. Still wondering what is happening with the finger unit.