Author Topic: kinda stumped on this one....  (Read 10483 times)

gmbydmit

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • legend in my own mind!
kinda stumped on this one....
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:42:58 PM »
I'm tryin to learn (play) this small trombone solo for Sublime's 'Wrong Way' on the MalletKat..

here's the seven measures:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ugfnz11fpt.wav or http://www.box.net/shared/ugfnz11fpt

I've been just playing it looped over and over trying to figure it out by ear, but that's not working out so well, so if anyone has any ideas...

;D

like the notation for it, or a tab for it (just that trombone part)...that would be greatly appreciated!!!!! :)

P.S. I stumbled onto some kick ass sounds, by accident...I midi cabled my MalletKat to the Roland TD-20 and voila...I know I'm a dork, BUT DARN IT - I'M EXCITED! ::)

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
    • http://www.youtube.com/orbvroomer
Re: kinda stumped on this one....
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:45:52 AM »
Tim.....take a lead !  How many drummers are asked to do that ?  Good job. Drummer plays trombone solo ? Don't blow it,OK ?

OK. That slurred part @ start is tricky - slide trombone.It sounds like an F# to a C#,with maybe hitting Bb,B,C in between. (this is the hardest part to emulate). Experiment with the in between notes for an acceptable riff.I couldn't quickly make that lick sound good.

Now : F#,F#,F#,  (next is slurred or bent ) F# - E     E.E, (slurred) E - C#

F#,F#, ( dash = bend/slur )  A - A#,  A - A# , F#

E,  G - G# , G - G#  E

F#, A,A#,B,C,C# , F#, E 

E,E,G#,B

Experiment with the bends ,or just play the notes - it sometimes sounds better if you don't try to bend.If you bend,set the range to 1/2 step. But a half won't work for the first slur.Or the slur between the F# - E  (whole step) & the E - C# ( 3 half steps). Bending gets tricky - but it CAN be done.I usually stick with individual notes - no bends.
I had a decent trombone sample & it sounded acceptable- minus the bending notes.That's a great song- I love those ska grooves.

So you found some sounds in your TD-20 ?  Tuned sounds ?  Sounds lurking right under out eyes ,sometimes,eh ?  Didn't even have to wait for Santa.

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
Thanks OrbMeister!

I'll get working on it, and if I can get it down well enough, I will try it out at band practice.

;)

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »
Tim.....take a lead !  How many drummers are asked to do that ?  Good job. Drummer plays trombone solo ? Don't blow it,OK ?

OK. That slurred part @ start is tricky - slide trombone.It sounds like an F# to a C#,with maybe hitting Bb,B,C in between. (this is the hardest part to emulate). Experiment with the in between notes for an acceptable riff.I couldn't quickly make that lick sound good.

Now : F#,F#,F#,  (next is slurred or bent ) F# - E     E.E, (slurred) E - C#

F#,F#, ( dash = bend/slur )  A - A#,  A - A# , F#

E,  G - G# , G - G#  E

F#, A,A#,B,C,C# , F#, E 

E,E,G#,B

Experiment with the bends ,or just play the notes - it sometimes sounds better if you don't try to bend.If you bend,set the range to 1/2 step. But a half won't work for the first slur.Or the slur between the F# - E  (whole step) & the E - C# ( 3 half steps). Bending gets tricky - but it CAN be done.I usually stick with individual notes - no bends.
I had a decent trombone sample & it sounded acceptable- minus the bending notes.That's a great song- I love those ska grooves.

So you found some sounds in your TD-20 ?  Tuned sounds ?  Sounds lurking right under out eyes ,sometimes,eh ?  Didn't even have to wait for Santa.

thanks millions, dude...

now to be a bigger pain....any chance you got this converted to notation?

;D :o

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »
stand by folks....I think he's got it~!

??? :P :D

uh....er......or not....gettin close though...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:28:07 PM by gmbydmit »

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:52:47 PM »
For notation,I would have to play it on keys into digital performer with a click,then I can view & print it as standard notation.I've done that a couple times for bass lines.
If your not in a hurry....I'll see if I can get it for you.I'm still a novice with files & stuff.I'll see what format it uses.I guess I could be a caveman & write it out by hand & then scan it, as a last resort.Or we could go on livestream & I could teach you.I'd show you the riffs on keys,& you could play the MK.I have some software & the notes light up on a virtual keyboard on the mac.   Plan A,B,or C should work - or I'll think of a plan D.

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
that's probably a great idea.....that's why we got onto Livestream for in the first place (kinda)....right?

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 11:52:01 PM »
Yeah,Livestream is nice.I hope Mario does some more shows after the holidays.

Setting up the loop is the best way to learn ( for me). I leaned many a part with the loop set. Like Paul's bass....wow...all that for 15 seconds !  Luckily,he plays this part over a bunch of times.  This solo is pretty short - just learn each phrase separately.You'll have it down before I can get it notated.With that little loop - it will be pounded into your head after a while.

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 11:57:09 PM »
yeah I've been playing that friggin loop for an hour or so....

I also found the midi part for it....I could take the easy way out and just use the midi (with the trombone part included) as a backing track... >:(

uhhhhh.....uh uh, not yet, I'm not giving up yet!!! ;D

I also want to see if I can go on livestream with it...

If I figure out the livestream part, I will shoot you an email or IM or something

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 01:27:13 AM »
finally figured out how to print from Sonar HS6
 ::)

I'm sure I lost some grey matter during the process of figuring out how to get this done using the midi file with Sonar, so I had to share with all ya'll, again because it took a year or two off my life doing so...

I'm a dork, I get excited about stupid shit like this

;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 01:35:27 PM by gmbydmit »

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »
Is that the solo ?  I'm not a reader (quickly) & I usually mark it up,anyway.I was wondering how that first part would be interpreted.What are those two note chords doing in there ? Does that band have a horn section ?  Another horn hitting some accent (chord) ? Just wondering.

On my notation deal,if you give it a key signature,it will clean up some of the extra flat & sharp symbols.Although,on this solo,there are a bunch of chromatic notes going on.Ask your band what key it's in.I don't have the whole tune.It sounded like an E & an F# chord in there.Maybe in B ?

I remember when I first realized I could print notation from Digital Performer.Of course,I can't read it too well.Still is exiting,though.Try this : use a click & record your drums in your sequencer & then view it as notation.Then you'll say " Wow !! I played all that ?"  Then see if you can read it & play it back the same way.It's easier to play,than to read & play back.

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
I don't think they had a horn section, I think that is just the way that the software interpreted that particular player's midi notes.

I don't think there are any two note chords in the solo, just one single trombone, and I'm pretty close to having it down. As soon as I do, I'm going to try and do a Video thing, so I will let you know.

Also, my latest goofy endeavor:

http://www.box.net/shared/rib627ahzn

trying to figure out the main keys part on this one...
 :)

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »
You mean that synth part ?  It's in E major.  Starts on a B,up to C#,B,A,B...& so on.  I have it on my itunes.I'll check it out.It always helps when it's a song I like.I was thinking about working on it ,before.For a guitar player,Steve used a lot of keys on his music.All his songs are great (to me).I've leaned a few I found on YT - just put the song name in - there's a bunch of everything - just got to find the right cover version or like 'how to play keys to......'.

I have a pretty lame version of Fly like an Eagle....the keys are good...whoever was that drummer - he has a fast right hand on that hi hat part.I can't get it.On the chorus,he's real tricky,too.Riding on the snare with some cymbal bell accents ? It almost sounds double tracked.Any of you guys play that song in a band ? Like the studio version ?  Some guy on YT -  Joedrums1, has all these lessons on all kinds of rock songs.He's a good guy,I asked him if he could knock off a lesson for that song.Maybe he'll get to it sometime.He did respond to my request,just didn't get that yet.I'll get the link to his channel - it's a great resource for classic rock drumming.

Check out Joedrums1.He has 180 downloads & about 3,000 subscribers.He has a bunch of Zep.   & he has a Ludwig Vistalite ...just like Bonham...logo included.

http://www.youtube.com/user/joedrums1#p/u
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:19:33 PM by Orb Vroomer »

gmbydmit

• legend in my own mind!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
You mean that synth part ?  It's in E major.  Starts on a B,up to C#,B,A,B...& so on.  I have it on my itunes.I'll check it out.It always helps when it's a song I like.I was thinking about working on it ,before.For a guitar player,Steve used a lot of keys on his music.All his songs are great (to me).I've leaned a few I found on YT - just put the song name in - there's a bunch of everything - just got to find the right cover version or like 'how to play keys to......'.

you're so much better than I at disecting these parts!
 ;D

davidbenz017

• Cool Kat
    • Tongkat Ali-Man Power
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 04:42:52 AM »
Is that the solo ?  I am not a reader (quickly) & I normally mark it,anyway.I ended up being thinking how which initial part could be interpreted.What are those two note chords doing in there ? Does that band have a horn section ?  Yet another horn hitting some accent (chord) ? Simply wondering.
In my notation contract,if you give it a key signature,it will clean up a few of the extra flat & sharp symbols.Though,in this solo,there are certainly a bunch of chromatic notes happening.Ask the band precisely what key it's in.I don't experience the whole tune.It seemed like a particular E & a particular F# chord in there.Maybe in B ?
I remember when I initial realized I could print notation from Online Performer.Of course,I can't read it too well.Still is exiting,though.Try this : make use of mouse click & record the drums in your sequencer & then see it because notation.Then you will say " Omg !! I played every one of the which ?"  Then see if you can read it & portray it back the same exact way.It's much easier to portray,than to read & play in return.