Author Topic: KAT controllers being outdated???  (Read 23983 times)

DrumMan

• The Kat's Meow
  • DrumMan-there can be only one!
KAT controllers being outdated???
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »
So,Like some others,my concern is if/when Miditronix becomes self powered-are the current generation of AM/Kat controllers,parts,R&D,development-going to take a "back seat",to the new and improved?
Major concern for me, as I have planned to spend more $$ to increase my"KAT" herd.
Us MIDI farmers wants to knows:)-please?

Peace,
DrumMan

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
  • It's katalicious.Go ahead & try one.You'll like it
    • http://www.youtube.com/orbvroomer
Re: KAT controllers being outdated???
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
Say it aint so...Mario. :'(    " Do you know what the punishment for Katicide is in your state ? Well I don;t either....but I'll bet it's pretty harsh."   :(

DrumMan : What is that white overlord intrusion above your Trapkat ? Did you buy it at RrUs ? ???  Perhaps a spot for another Kat controller to take over ?
A Turbo DK would work perfectly in that spot......but you already knew that. ;)   

Nice set up,DrumMan. Farm on.

vindrums

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • Drumming music with Vince
    • Drum Music Electronic
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »
   DrumMan....this question has had all of us wondering.....It certainly looks like R & D is done. We're all just sitting around waiting to see the answer to the other questions like will parts and repair continue? And it's not about looking for a back seat......we're/I'm wondering if any part of the old company will continue? Maybe no seat, and we throw it all off the bus? And the biggest question of all: what's the prices on the new stuff. A lot of teasing has gone on here, and many are waiting. Many dead KATs laying around here. what's next?
    Not to be stupid with my simple questions,,,,what does OEM mean? Everybody seems to know except me.
Vince

gkdrummer

• Cool Kat
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:18:24 PM »
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
Folks!!!!  ITS ALL GOOD.

The trapKAT will continue to have updates as well as the malletKAT.   The drumKAT Turbo software is finalized, not because I wanted it that
way but......well its a long story.

AM is going NOWHERE.   We are just getting better.  Now that we (MIDItroniX) have employed some high powered engineers, only GREAT things
are going to happen in the future.

Just came back from the NAMM show, and all the NEW products out there, put me to sleep.  Same S*&%, different product names!

The concepts behind our KAT controllers are in burned in my brain, and anything new that comes out from us will only reflect "the drumKAT attitude" only more powerful!

Can't imagine a musical life without a KAT Controller! ;D

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »
Mario, I see you say the DK software is finalized (and you've said why before).  Does that leave open the possibility to "cross-grade" the guts to a new set of electronics at some point?

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »
Quote from Mario : "Can't imagine a musical life without a KAT Controller! " "Grin"   ;D

Same for me ever since my first drumkat.  ;)

Anybody else in here feel this way ? I'll bet I know a few.   8)

Vkat

• The Kat's Meow
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:49:38 PM »
Mario, I see you say the DK software is finalized (and you've said why before).  Does that leave open the possibility to "cross-grade" the guts to a new set of electronics at some point?

If an upgrade is not available, it would go against everything this company has been about, ever since it's inception. How can you take your original product, which is also your flagship product, and abandon it?  I, among many other loyal users, would be not be happy.

I sincerely hope the DITI board was designed with the upgrade option of placing it in a drumkat in mind.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:54:42 PM by Vkat »

vindrums

• Drum Music Electronic
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:42:45 PM »
   There's more to come.....is what we hear...
     Here's some of my thoughts on your thoughts...
   First; I wish we could have all been mad at the same time. I've cooled off a lot over the past month or so since it was becoming apparent the sinking of the flagship was imminent. It's like over the past couple years, we'd try to push the conversation toward the Turbo/DrumKAT and it's potential updates. The MKAT and the TKAT both got upgrades that were just soooo cool and modern and we all hoped. Basically every time it was brought up, M would say it wasn't possible and would never happen. But we'd still be dreaming and hoping that it wasn't true.....say it ain't so.....Every time a little fire would happen M would say No louder.Finally we all excepted the death this past week when ORB called it.
    It's not that it's been so much abandoned, as it is outdated. M says it's prehistoric in design. So that means it's not a good idea to keep going with an outdated idea. We all know the turbo was inherently messed up by the programmer, and can't be fixed or updated. So should we go back to the 3.8 and continue foward (which has been my contention for years) ....which is steps backwards with what M calls prehistoric design? Probably not.
    We hope there will be a new controllere to take it's place......amid many opinons that say DKAT is  too complex (personally I liked having as much musical power as my keyboard friends have). Some opinions have said there's no need for that midi merge unit that doubles the KAT to 32 channels and gives a ton of set up options even utilizing other controllers in the same setup! I love all that and I use it all! Many opinions think that more pads and less midi is the way to go. Even though I can make it seem like there're many times the 19 pads of the Turbo by using midi. Katalyzing is just too cool and hardly anybody does it.....Some actually think that there shouldn't even be programming involved....that you should just be able to load a copy of some sound set a million others are using. No tweaking, no adjustment just that kit... So we don't know if there will be a powerful Turbo-like instrument or if it will be dumbed down.
   The Diti certainly seems to be well thought out and plenty advanced from the kiti. 

We hope that there will continue to be a powerful controller available in the future.
Vince

benjammin

• The Kat's Meow
    • B Jammin
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:25:52 AM »
Wow, to think my DrumKat is FINALIZED sucks.
I still think it rocks and hope for a second generation (neoprene pads) but meanwhile the new products look good. I don't know the long story behind the programming of the DrumKat but it has served me very well. I can still dream of a Mach 2 , the TrapKat was always a bit too large for my purposes and I need trigger inputs. So, here's to the future of Alternate Mode and MIDItronix- I still dig the KAT!

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 12:53:01 AM »
Actually,how long has the drumkat been 'finalized' ? A long time.The last rev to turbo was what year ? Loooong ago.

So we still have the DK in it's current state -  "same as it ever was".

As long as support remains....our Dks should be fine,right ?  I've had 2 for over 15 years...I think each went back twice for service.I know some people have had more trouble than others....but I'm really happy with the performance of mine.But I would NOT feel comfortable with out a back up.But most professional musicians almost always have a back up instrument.

I don't want to start a new rig - we all hate that.But Mario said something about having his brain 'katalized'. OK,he didn't say that...but he thinks from the performance point of view of a musician who exploits the capabilities of the Kats. So I see a controller in the future....a REAL nice controller.....with even more NEW capabilities we didn't even know we needed....I already want one...I'm not getting rid of any DKs,though.

That RIP sign could have been posted long ago.But it's not dead.It's like Bart Simpson.Twenty years & still in the 5th grade. The 5th grade is alright by me.

vindrums

• Drum Music Electronic
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 01:25:17 AM »
      Most pros have a backup instrument. {ORB} and that's true.....many that have 2000$ saxes have a 1000$ backup saxes, and some key players I know have 4000$ boards and 800$ backups....but when you have a controller/instrument that no other company produces  ? That there is no way of emulating      ?   

Yes that's true to some extent. I wonder how many pros have backup acoustic kits....whoa don't get carried away! There's many levels of pro.....what % have/need backup kits    and carry backup kits?.......Now; how many v-drum drummers have/need backup modules, and again yes there is a % but overall in the world of real drumming and guys playing 120$ a night gigs how many?

I know we have much more than do they; but we all do have to carry a backup, and if two break we're screwed

Orb Vroomer

• KAT Diety
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:10 AM »
Yeah,complete back up acoustic kits are not seen too often.But most guys like a spare snare,pedal,maybe some heads,esp. kick head.
Most guitar players have more than one guitar.I was at a gig next to Bronco's stadium.Got REAL busy after game.Some drunk slammed into the sax.No spare - he went home.Not even a back up kazoo.

What's bad for us is that the Kats are rare,so we can't go to the local music rental store & rent one for the night or week.Most musicians have that option.
Goes with our territory.Even NASCAR guys only have 2 cars,right ? (not in the same race). I don't know.I'm more of a demolition derby style racer.

DrumMan

• The Kat's Meow
  • DrumMan-there can be only one!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 10:46:26 AM »
Whew,
glad to see I am not alone, and I trust Mario.ORB-the "white intruder"will be promply removed,as it made my intenal KAT organs sick,like kryptonite was too close to my super-kat:)Yes, 2 drumkats are in the making to add to my rig,52 pads on one rack-and only a FEW quarter inch jacks,take that vdrum/dtxpress lovers!HA!
On a separate note(apologies for potentially thread hijacking)polyphony-some drummers will accept 32-64,because thats all they can hear,or use.But I want the most,so sequencing & drumming can take place through the same module, it is MY personal effort to get green=less separate modules,more integration.
I was on another edrum forum,where someone said polyphony means nothing to drummers.This guy is no newbie,so I am surprised by any attitude to accept"less".Also-(more hijacking)-anyone else(you go VIN!ORB!REF!-want to use less powerful controllers,how about a dumbed down receptor,with only 64 note polyphony?You willing to with"less"?
not me-thats why I play Kat Controller's.period.Because I want more.And they deliver.period."nuff said"(thanks Stan lee-& Mario!)

DrumMan
Trapkat owner
future Drumkat owner:)

suavekeith

• The Kat's Meow
  • DrumKat 3.8, DKFH Superior, DM5
    • www.CajonDrumming.com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »
I still love the DrumKat form factor. It's small and portable so can be used as a solo kit or added to an existing one. The new Yamaha multi pad and the existing Roland and Alesis gear indicate that there is a market for this type of product. The Kat has plenty of life left in it, after 10 years with it I'm still only using a fraction of what it is capable off.

If a Miditronic transplant isn't possible perhaps the future could be with a software solution. A lot of players are using laptops for their sounds these days so the mythical SoftKat could be the answer for upgrades and easier programming.