Author Topic: The Future of E Drumming  (Read 18808 times)

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
  • Don't ask me, I just own the place!
    • Alternate Mode
The Future of E Drumming
« on: December 22, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
inHEAD™
Since the beginning of e drumming - now decades old, it has always been the ultimate desire for the acoustic drummer to play on real acoustic drum heads, with the sound, sensitivity and feel of a real drum head, but still have the power of MIDI to get different sounds, record sequences, have sound reinforcement, etc.

MIDItroniX is proud to offer to the drum community the “inHEAD™”, the world’s first real acoustic electronic hybrid drum head. Manufactured and Distributed by Aquarian drumheads, this truly exciting and innovative product will be introduced at January NAMM 2011 with availability in the Spring of 2011. The inHEAD will be available in standard drum sizes for the entire kit.

Imagine, no more rubber pads, mesh heads, piezo triggers, just real acoustic triggering in a real acoustic head, the inHEAD.  Can’t feel any better than that!  Doesn’t that just SOUND great!

We believe that the inHEAD will revitalize the acoustic drum market.  Finally there is an electronic drum product targeted for the acoustic drum set.  This is truly revolutionary.

We are looking to create OEM relationships with drum manufacturers, and invite you to contact us for an appointment at NAMM.  Please contact Mario DeCiutiis at Alternate Mode, 877-933-6237 for an appointment.   Aquarian’s display will be at booth 3546 Hall D.

We are also introducing the following complimentary products along with the inHEAD

inBOX™
Along with the inHEAD. MIDItroniX will offer the inBOX.  This box attaches to the shell of your acoustic drum and connects the inHEAD to the outside world.  A ¼” output jack on the inBOX sends out a clean trigger signal that can directly go into a Trigger Drum Module like the Alesis DM10 or Trigger I/O or other Roland and Yamaha drum modules.  Unlike standard piezo drum pads, there is no vibration interaction because the inHEAD incorporates FSR (force sensor resistor), which responds to pressure not acoustic vibration. The result is clean, dynamic response throughout the entire drum head.

The inBOX also has an input for another trigger, the rimSHOT.  This allows for a stereo trigger on the output.

rimSHOT™
The rimSHOT is an FSR trigger that attaches to the rim of your acoustic drum.  It can be a standalone trigger when used with the inBOX or can be used in conjunction with the inHEAD so that the acoustic drummer can naturally use the head and rim for playing.

hotSPOT™
MIDItroniX will also be displaying at NAMM 2011 at the Aquarian booth the hotSPOT.  This is an FSR sensor that attaches to the acoustic head of the bass drum for accurate triggering while still maintaining the original sound and feel of the acoustic drum head.  Like the inHEAD, the hotSPOT attaches to the inBOX to connect to the outside world.

inHEAD Mute™
There may be times when you want to deaden the sound of your acoustic/hybrid drumhead.  Introducing the eHEAD Mute. This is a removable pad that sticks on the head, significantly reducing the sound of the acoustic drum while still offering superb triggering!  The pad simple feels great because of the acoustic drum head underneath.

Vkat

• The Kat's Meow
  • I'm a llama!
Re: The Future of E Drumming
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:04:08 PM »
This is very exciting news.

I have a few questions:

Will the inHead have an X,Y positional output signal (like the Mandala drum) that can, at some point, be converted and used as positional signals?  

If not, will it, at least have, concentric "ring areas" (like the old Simmons SDX) that will give independent signals?

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »
The drum head is being introduced in stages, this first version as a two zone....that is head is one zone and rimSHOT is the second.
Tip/sleve....stereo jack.

When the DITI (drum intelligent trigger interface) is finally introduced next year, the interface will be able to handle the  inHEADvz (variable zones).  The new head will have position sensing that can send CC# data or note data.  In other words, it will be a drum with programable zones.  The worlds first.

My job at NAMM......find sound ware companies to support the new pads for the future.

I don't know when phase two heads will come to market.   The "inHEAD" is a milestone all to itself and needs to get some traction

spottyscotty

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • Nothing beats hitting rubber membranes repeatedly
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:37:33 PM »
Good to hear that MIDItroniX is still going!

Questions from me also:

1) Is the rimSHOT the same product as the E-Rim (from the "New for 2010" thread)?
2) Are you still developing the KAT Pedal Pro? If so, is there an ETA? (It was said to 'only a few weeks from market' ... a few months ago)

Happy Holidays and all the best for 2011 to all!

Cheers,
Scott

Vkat

• The Kat's Meow
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »
The drum head is being introduced in stages, this first version as a two zone....that is head is one zone and rimSHOT is the second.
Tip/sleve....stereo jack.
When the DITI (drum intelligent trigger interface) is finally introduced next year, the interface will be able to handle the  inHEADvz (variable zones).  The new head will have position sensing that can send CC# data or note data.  In other words, it will be a drum with programable zones.  The worlds first.
My job at NAMM......find sound ware companies to support the new pads for the future.
I don't know when phase two heads will come to market.   The "inHEAD" is a milestone all to itself and needs to get some traction

That's excellent news to hear.  
The Multiple Zones, in conjunction with the continuously evolving sound source software, will
be not just a simple improvement, but a heaps and bounds advancement in edrum technology.
The FSR layer will also be Pressure sensitive, which is another advantage over piezo based pads.
Kudos, and I hope it can be done at a reasonable price point with good durability.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:21:14 PM by Vkat »

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
The rimshot is separate from the eRIM.   As soon as we get back from NAMM, Alternate Mode will release the eRIM, the universal hihat and the E Kick.
We are working on so many products at the same time our heads are spinning.    You should expect new stuff EVERY month

suavekeith

• The Kat's Meow
  • DrumKat 3.8, DKFH Superior, DM5
    • www.CajonDrumming.com
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:39:38 AM »
Thanks for the update, it's all sounds very exciting. The door is opening to a new world of possibilities.

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »
We (MIDItroniX) have decided that it is best to OEM most of our new designs to large companies so that
we can get it into all of the stores.   Alternate Mode works best selling direct, and I don't want to start up
the selling machine.....distributors, reps, stores, a/r etc. 

If I do that, I'll never get a chance to play again!

flavor32

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
We (MIDItroniX) have decided that it is best to OEM most of our new designs to large companies so that
we can get it into all of the stores.   Alternate Mode works best selling direct, and I don't want to start up
the selling machine.....distributors, reps, stores, a/r etc. 

If I do that, I'll never get a chance to play again!

This sounds like a great strategy :-) Congratulations on the exciting new adventures! Good times ahead for all of us.

gmbydmit

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • legend in my own mind!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:52:42 PM »
sounds like some positive buzz over at the vdrums forum

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65534

the more people that are excited, the better

YAY AM!
YAY Miditronix!

tcanedy

• Cool Kat
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »
Does this mean we can put the inHead on a Remo practice pad, connect it to the inBox and have a complete midi controller?

-Todd

Vkat

• The Kat's Meow
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
Does this mean we can put the inHead on a Remo practice pad, connect it to the inBox and have a complete midi controller?

-Todd
In the case of the Remo practice pad, the answer is no.  Simply because the Remo pad takes a special head with a very low collar.  The inHead is designed to fit regular drums with standard collar depth.
Mario, please correct me if I am wrong.

MarioKAT

• Administrator
  • KAT Diety
    • Alternate Mode
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »
Not sure about that.  I need to look at the Remo pad.  I am going to the TMEA show next week and
will be nosing around all acoustic drum products and will keep you post

elegentdrum

• Cool Kat
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm in processes of putting together the computer side of my E Kit at the moment and is the reason I'm out of the foums.

The inHEAD because of it's responciveness look very nice once the details are worked out. Now that more "information" is available from a drum trigger, IMHO, the problem becomes how to use this information.

The real solution is to develope a new standard for MIDI drum information. Most people who have been in the industry have used MIDI extencivly, and MIDI has not changed much over the last 30 years.

It's time to update the standard by which drum information is transmited from an electronic drum to the conversion to actual sound.

In the early 90's, I purchased one of your TRAPKAT's and a pair of your pedals. The sounds came from a D4. It was the best solution of the time to achieve an electronic drum kit. Today, I use a mixture of Roland, and Hart drums with a TD-20. Im in process of putting together a PCaudio Labs computer with an SSL MX-4 and alpha link, BFD2 and sonar to be my drum set.

long post dont work eassy here...will finish in next post

elegentdrum

• Cool Kat
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:47 AM »
Here are the problems with current solutions:

The TD-20 is the best trigger to MIDI converter on the market this week. It can determine the position of volume for many inputs. The Ride and Snare (if you use roland trigger) can sense the position of yoru strike and adjust it's tone. But the tones are not the best. To get good sound, you need HUGE sample libraries like BFD2 that require sobstantial computer power to achieve low enough latancy to achieve a good feel.

To get the best of both worlds, I plan to use 10 inputs from a TD-20 and 16 inputs from BFD, mixing, matching, and attempting to blend quality sounds with postion and contorller sensative sounds that will achieve the best blend of what can be done with currently available stuff.

The correct solution is a new standard that handles all of this. The real obstical is creation of the drum samples to be used, and a playback system. If you want a snare drum to sound good, and be sensative to everything (Volume, Position, Rim mix, Type of stick, and durration of strike) lets assume 127 levels of each. How does one aproach making a sample library that contain 127 to the 5th power of samples? This is just not posible. To me, this is why Vdrums are a modeld sound rather than a samples (not to mention hardware costs). Next post
Un