Author Topic: The Future of E Drumming  (Read 18780 times)

elegentdrum

• Cool Kat
Re: The Future of E Drumming
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 12:14:24 AM »
To solve all of this, a comprimize is needed that allows sample libraries to be a reasonable size for use on cost effective hardware.

The comprimize has to prioritized:
1.) Volume
2.) Rim mix
3.) Position
4.) either stick type, or durration from a standard stick

I think is as far as it can go. In general, Volume needs to have at least 1000 velocity levels. reolution needs to be increased. This is the driving factor behind the need for an updated standard. Determaing how sample libraries will respond to items 3 and 4 is the tricky part. Meetings between Roland, Yamaha, Zijian, KAT, BFD, and superior, and whoever else is the right answer. It's time for a new standard!
Just my two cents.

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 02:45:36 AM »
You really do not need all 128 (127 for velocity) different samples per axis.  I would argue you can get away with just 8 for velocity for main strike positions - i.e. three.  So that's just 24.  Lets add an extra 8 layers for head centre and four for each of two zones around that - 40 samples.  Still easily achievable.  Most people listening to well sampled strikes will think they're hearing live drums with that level of detail.  With 40 samples, you've still scope for round/random-robin - so let's treble that to 120.  Still not huge.  Indeed, below the 127.  All samplers use a degree of "modelling" to achieve different volumes with a limited set of velocity samples, nothing new here, of course.  With a sampler like Kontakt 4, you can also start doing some clever stuff so that no two strikes ever sound quite the same, even if they were "identical" in MIDI terms.

Different sticks is where the level of detail goes up - you do not have 128 different beater sounds, though.  Stick, mallet, brush (that's a different story), hand...

If you want that level of detail -- it's actually already available and has been for years!  ns_kit7, now natural drum kit, has all this.  The head position less well done than some of the other features but it has more detail than anything else I've seen.  Nearly 20,000 samples, 18.5GB of WAV files.

However, your point about having a controller able to take advantage of it is very telling.  ns_kit7 uses MIDI CC messages to select the head strike zone.  If I had a controller that sent position encoded like that, it would suddenly unleash some very expressive playing opportunities.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 02:50:23 AM by pljones »

gmbydmit

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • legend in my own mind!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 10:31:23 AM »
This sounds like a great debate afoot, but it probably should be redirected to it's own thread...

IMHO

;D