Author Topic: seeking advice on room acoustics  (Read 6220 times)

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
  • see Wyncote Academy faculty for bio
seeking advice on room acoustics
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »
Wyncote Academy's music room ceiling is falling down. A new one will be put in place. The room is small and unfortunately the worst shape-almost a cube  (10x12x7 feet tall)  Would a slightly sloped ceiling help tame the boominess? If so - sloping in what direction-downwards towards the mixing board or what? We set up everything facing the monitors (electronic drums, four keyboards, bass and guitar and vocal mics. We have room for about six students. Any suggestions about the ceiling?  I found out that a slight slope won't do much one way or the other (improve or make worse) with a ceiling under 7 feet. Evidently one needs a quite high ceiling for any slope to be used for a noticeable desired acoustic affect.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:09:06 PM by dinnerpianist »

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Re: seeking advice on room acoustics
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »
Can't help you directly but Sound-On-Sound have plenty of relevant articles, such as this series, which could help.  Might be worth skimming thru their site for anything relevant.

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 04:08:55 PM »
Thank you, the article looks like it will be very helpful.

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »
Assuming the ceiling is acoustic tiles, where does the 'boominess" come from? Hard tile floors and concrete block walls like most schools? Soften those up.

drumrollpleeze

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 05:37:23 PM »
A few tricks we've used over the years....hard floors...small pieces of carpet. Discarded carpet samples from carpet stores are usually large enough. Remember your sound leaves the speakers at the same angle as the cone shape. A piece of carpet on the floor in front of the amp/speaker cabinets helps prevent the sound 'bounce'. You can also use essentially the same technique and get 'creative' to the sides and even the tops of cabinets. This doesn't always work well, though. In some small, 'hard' clubs we've turned the speakers toward the back wall behind us to try not to blast out the folks in the front rows. Tipping the cabinets backward so the sound goes upward sometimes heips. Experiment....the answer  may not be as hard as it seems. If feedback is a problem, try dropping the 3K pot to a negative position.

prince

• Cool Kat
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 06:12:38 AM »
the softening of the walls makes the sound smoother, keeps the sound in the room and gives a certain degree of roundness, the sound of my new Hublot is quite similar.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:13:22 AM by prince »

Hercules

• Cool Kat
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »
I default to amphitheatre design - especially if you're trying to project the sound - which implies a curved ceiling (and walls) at perhaps 30 degrees

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:26 AM »
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.  The music room's resonance was helped with some corner shelves acting as bass traps and the new dry wall ceiling (the original plaster and lathing had failed and before the new dry wall sheets some insulation inserted into the joists runs. It does matter how the PA cabinets (typical 12 inch with horn) were located. I had them at about three feet from the mixing board and at ear level at the seated console on tripod stands. I tried them about seven feet apart and up against the wall and close to the ceiling but not pointing down with a much better result.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 04:00:37 PM by dinnerpianist »