Author Topic: How about a little fun- Equipment industry gripes! Keep it short!  (Read 4202 times)

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
  • see Wyncote Academy faculty for bio
Gripes!  1. No industry standard on how to mount the midi jack (smiley face or frown)
             2.  No agreement on the tip sleeve configuration  (my choice is tip negative)
             3.  That the first batch of GM offerings didn't have a gong, finger snaps and a way to choke one of the crashes
             4.  That two foot midi cables were and still are super rare in most outlets.  1' 3' 5' 6' 8'  but no 2' length.
              These are ancient issues (fortunately) I know but were very annoying years back. The midi jack pin orientation and tip sleeve are still very exasperating.  Was it a conspiracy of adaptor manufacturers? Yes we have universal adaptors with tip/sleeve
and voltage adjustment.    

I'm adding the industry variance on what type of switch will be used with each piece. Some manufacturers (KAT) and even some Fatar stuff senses the status of the foot switch upon energizing. Just make sure you aren't resting on the pedal ramp as you fire up or you'll need to shut down and fire up again.  What engineering decisions are made when the foot switch status type is finally chosen?  One would think that normally open would be more reliable so then why does Yamaha go with a closed status?        
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 03:08:28 PM by dinnerpianist »

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
Re: How about a little fun- Equipment industry gripes! Keep it short!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
If I understand you correctly, yes the midi jack-thing is very exasperating. I find myself having to bend down and look inside ports all the time to see which way the pins are set - north or south. There should be a standard.

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
Of course! One is in the "dark" when trying to guess the orientation of the pin layout. It is usually on a black surfaced chassis and recessed and one needs to have a flashlight.  I think I can understand the discrepancy. Some main boards are hung while others are part of the base of the unit. My Fatar keyboards have the CPU board hung from the top of the chassis with the soldered side of the PCB facing upwards. 

drumrollpleeze

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »
I do mostly one nighters. So, to speed setup and teardown I've color coded all my cables. As far as the midi cables, the color marks the 'up' side of the cable, so on the drum module, the dot is on top and on the trapkat it's on bottom. I use a rack mounted Roland TD8 & 2 Roland SPD6's, along with my Trapkat. The module and the SPD6's go into a rack mounted Nady mixer and the mixer goes out to my amp and or the board. I've also made all cables just the right length for my use, so no bundles of wire laying around to confuse the issue. My rack is a stubby little guy that mountsand stores in my Trapkat case. The Trapkat case sits on a keyboard stand...just the right height.
Normally my setup/teardown time is about 10minutes.

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »
We all have most likely perfected what works best for a speedy setup and breakdown and for quick adjustments and fixes during performance.  Everything I have is on casters including the seat and of course the midi controller. Still there are times when one is astounded at a unsafe outlet. I play outdoor gigs at old estates and often there are receptacles that aren't even a two blade polarized type. Mix that in with drizzle and it can be a harrowing situation. I might have to carry 100 feet of AC cable and take a feed from the house if it is around a pool beyond a terrace. I would never share an outlet with the caterer who has numerous high draw devices on the line. 

Hercules

• Cool Kat
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
Voltage is a pain - anything between 100v and 250v - luckily many devices are auto-sensing but it's always a concern when you first plug in an expensive 110v doover to 240v....

Earthing - some things earthed / some not - I'd like to see an earth pin as standard too

Audible volume - i.e. how much noise a device generates - it would be good if this spec. was included as a standard

:-)