Author Topic: issues with the Alesis DM5 readout corruption  (Read 2880 times)

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
  • see Wyncote Academy faculty for bio
issues with the Alesis DM5 readout corruption
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
Some lettering becomes corrupted when customizing the presets. I've refreshed the battery every few years as a precaution and do a hard reset but every few weeks the corrupted lettering (just a few characters) reappears. I heard something many years ago about going a higher amperage on the power supply. Would 1.3A  help?  The data wheel is a little balky at times- decrementing instead of incrementing. Anyone have similar issues and found a work around?  A D4 at the school is working perfectly except for both caps replacement years ago.  Maybe it is the data wheel? Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:58:26 PM by dinnerpianist »

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
Re: issues with the Alesis DM5 readout corruption
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:13:36 AM »
Data heels seem notorious for causing problems. They all wear out after awhile. How old is your DM5? That unit has been around for a long time now. I've had modules with flaky data wheels. Ebay purchases. You never know what it going to get dialed in once they go.

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
  • see Wyncote Academy faculty for bio
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
The Alesis DM5 was purchased new in '97 but is rarely tweeked. It sits in one of the jam rooms and I programmed a few sets for a generic trap set sound which suits 99% of the students. I still wonder about the power supply speculation that someone mentioned many many years ago. Evidently the user went a 1 amp supply and subsequently had no issues with the data wheel. Thanks for your input

REF

• KAT Diety
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:15 AM »
Not being any kind of electronics buff, and having owned two DM5s in the past that had no problems, I really couldn't say. But my guess isn't power supply. But changing a wall wart certainly wouldn't set you back in your wallet to see if that rectifies the problem.