Author Topic: memory batteries life expectancy musing  (Read 2748 times)

dinnerpianist

• The Kat's Meow
  • see Wyncote Academy faculty for bio
memory batteries life expectancy musing
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:05:06 PM »
I'm curious about why some batteries konk out early. I've had Yamaha TX modules whose 3V batteries stayed almost at full output for over 20 years! and the units had extensive custom programs to maintain.  A little Zoom MRT3B I loan to beginning piano students to learn simple programming started malfunctioning and I found the battery had dropped to under one volt. The unit only had a few custom kits and a few patterns for beginners to work with and was purchased I think circa 2007. I put in a new battery and solved the glitches. When it was misbehaving every power on would signal an initialization request. So what might be the determining factors why some units seem to have a short memory battery life?

kurth83

• Cool Kat
Re: memory batteries life expectancy musing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:02:16 PM »
No way to know unless the manufacturer or experience tells you.
Size of battery vs the drain the device puts on it isn't discernable any other way.

Do KAT products have batteries?  Seems like the world has gone flash
for that kind of stuff.

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Re: memory batteries life expectancy musing
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
Yes, the KATs are battery-powered (flash memory wasn't cheap back when they were designed).  You can get spares but on a couple of the boards, the battery is soldered in, so you're either in RTB territory or DIY at your own risk...