Author Topic: DrumKat Turbo Pad 1 Sensitivity Fading  (Read 3136 times)

510man

• The Kat's Meow
DrumKat Turbo Pad 1 Sensitivity Fading
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:16 AM »
It seems my DrumKat turbo pad one is losing sensitivity. I seem to have to play it harder than the other pads to produce the same results. I've edited the velocity settings reducing the max hits as well as increasing the gain. That helped but it doesn't track as well as the other pads and often results softer notes.

Is this a sign the FSR for pad 1 is going out?

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Re: DrumKat Turbo Pad 1 Sensitivity Fading
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »
Have you reseated the rubber?  On my trapKat, the rubber can creep causing changes in sensitivity and giving it a bit of a gentle resettling seems to fix it.

KatTrapper

• The Kat's Meow
  • This can't be happening...
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 02:34:27 AM »
How old is the Turbo? When was the last time the FSR sensor was replaced? How often do you use the Drumkat? When you use it, are you a very hard hitter, or do you play more softly?

gmbydmit

• Extra Special KAT Poster
  • legend in my own mind!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:59:53 PM »
so, maybe it would be cool to just do the replacement of FSR:

http://www.alternatemode.com/cart/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=fsr-dk

and upgrade to the new Nubounce (although i am a big fan of the ol' rubber):

http://www.alternatemode.com/cart/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=dK_nuB_repl

so, for a couple hundred bucks and tax, shipping, etc.... it would be like a new DrumKat...
just a suggestion
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:10:49 AM by gmbydmit »

510man

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 04:39:26 PM »
I don't hit it very hard as that is tough on the hands. It gets played 3-4 hours a week. I have no idea how old the unit is or if the FSR was ever changed.

What is the half life of the aver FSR?  :-) I'm inferring from the post that sensitivity wanes over time. I much prefer the FSR technology but score one for piezo if that's true.

The FSR pricing is $155 plus shipping and labor. The Kat's pretty heavy so that's easily a $200 repair when it's unclear if that's what's wrong. Oddly, the website reads there's no warranty if I install the new FSR but neglects to say what the warranty is if I pay Alternate Mode to install it. May want to update the website with that important info. I do this one but would like to know that's what's wrong vs just guess.

I've never seen or played the nuBounce pad. I see it permanently attaches to the FSR surface, which I wouldn't view as a good thing. The current pad will develop some residue on the FSR. When the sensitivity starts to decline, I typically can remove the pad, clean the FSR, reassemble, and it works fine. I think that residue is caused from heat generated by playing the pads. Doesn't sound like nuBounce is the way I'd want to to go.from a serviceability perspective.

KatTrapper

• The Kat's Meow
  • This can't be happening...
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »
From the website -

"drumKAT/DK10 FSR (Force Sensing Resistor) Replacement
 It is highly recommended that you send in your drumKAT or DK10 for this repair for a One Year warranty of the FSR itself. No warranty of FSR is provided for user installation."

One year warranty if you send it in. There is a bit of a discrepancy, because the FSR replacement page itself says the warranty is six months. Easy enough to sort out with a quick call to AM. The FSRs on my KATs have all lasted quite a long time - read several years. The trick seems to be (1) don't pound the h*ll out of them, and (2) use your DKAT on a regular basis. FSR sensors like to be used, but not abused. If you are happy with the rubber pads (I know I am) then just get a new rubber pad. They still sell them for the Drum KAT. No need to change to NuBounce/Power Dots if you don't want to. Unfortunately, I don't have the same option for my TrapKAT.

As for hand fatigue, may I humbly suggest trying  Zildjian's Anti-Vibe drumsticks. They made a big difference for me. I don't use anything else now.

suavekeith

• The Kat's Meow
  • DrumKat 3.8, DKFH Superior, DM5
    • www.CajonDrumming.com
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:33 AM »
A second recommendation for the Zildjian Anti-Vibe sticks here. You can really feel the difference in impact when using these.

510man

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 05:53:25 PM »
I had a new FSR installed. IT helped but didn't resolve the problem.

The real issue, having spend a great deal of time with it, is that the ddrum4 is sensing position on the DrumKat pad. Mario played with it and neither he nor I found any MIDI controller info being sent from the DrumKat but you can hear a significant difference when moving across the snare pad or HH pad. The toms do it too but it's less noticeable.

I'd like to turn it off so it's just velocity sensing but we haven't' figured out how to do it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

davidross

• Cool Kat
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:36:38 PM »
I think the solution is to set the Note P value on the ddrum4 to 1 so that only 1 MIDI note number is transmitted per pad. I believe that worked for me in the past.

510man

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 03:42:45 PM »
It is set to one note except for ride and hihat, which require 2 and 4 respectively.