Author Topic: Types of Amplifiers/Speakers for MalletKat  (Read 1869 times)

FreddyTx

• Cool Kat
Types of Amplifiers/Speakers for MalletKat
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
What are some examples that others are using for speakers/amplifiers for the MalletKat?

I've got the Kat KS 4 octave with a smallish Behringer keyboard amplifier which sits on the floor or I can place it on a chair.

But I am having some issues when I am playing in a group and it is difficult to hear myself, and some others have mentioned they have a hard time hearing the Kat. I would like perhaps some of the nice Bose (?) stand speakers one left and one right that are a few feet tall.

What are others using?

I just played my first jazz gig with the Kat with a sextet and it was great.

-Roger

bradfordwetmore

• The Kat's Meow
Re: Types of Amplifiers/Speakers for MalletKat
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »
When I got my MK, I consulted with Mario specifically about this.  He suggested a beefy keyboard amp to give reasonable response across the spectrum (for BD/timp/triangles), and recommended the Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Keyboard Amp.  It's been a good choice: I do get percussion friends at intermission looking in vain for the acoustic instruments.

HTH!

P.S.  It is heavy (65 lbs/29.5 kgs) for one person using rubber top handle, but metal side handles are very good.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:48:20 PM by bradfordwetmore »

ton

• The Kat's Meow
Re: Types of Amplifiers/Speakers for MalletKat
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:07:19 PM »
Bought a HK Lucas Nano 300 recently. http://hkaudio.us/products.php?id=376
Pretty happy with it so far, but used it mostly in rehearsal situations.

Intended purpose for us are for practising at home and using it for main amplification in acoustic (wind) orchestra.
In bigger venues it has to service as personal monitor, while soundman may service the public :-)