Author Topic: Output level of a MalletKat 7 KS: line / microphone / instrument?  (Read 2867 times)

gurney

• The Kat's Meow
    • Homepage
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with the output level of my MalletKat 7KS. It's not exactly blocking, and I've managed to play it for the past year, but when it comes to getting a clean sound for a performance or a recording, things are getting less forgiving.

To make a long story short, I can't figure out what the output level of the KS sound card is. If I plug it on an line level input on my mixing table (I'm using a Yamaha Stagepas), I get a very weak signal, and I need to push up the gain quite far on the amplifier and to push up the volume of the programs to be level with the bass and drums (I typically have a Volume setting at 120 on the Kat). This is what I have been using so far, thinking that my amplifier was a bit cheap and weak. But then I realised that maybe the output was microphone level, and I needed to use another input on my amplifier, and turn down the gain. This does work, but the dynamic response seems at bit excessive (although maybe I need to adjust the dynamic response curve for my kits, and probably the Volume configuration of the kits).

So basically, I'm interested in how you are plugging your Kat (mike or line on the table) and what typical Volume levels you are using in your user setups.

Thanks!

gurney

• The Kat's Meow
    • Homepage
Re: Output level of a MalletKat 7 KS: line / microphone / instrument?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
Google came up with http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/pc3a8/audio_output/267/ which could be related, but still leaves me baffled...

gurney

• The Kat's Meow
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:45:11 AM »
Answer received from Mario by email:

Hello Alexandre.

The folks at Kurzweil tell us that MIDI volume used be used for attenuation.  That means that you should have the MIDI volume set to 127 unless you need to make it lower.

Every time you turn on the malletKAT, it sets the volume to about 80%.  What you need to do after you turn on the malletKAT is to push on the up arrow for several seconds so that the amp is set to max.

Finally it is important that you use balanced TRS cables.  You should not be using mono 1/4" cables.

Hopefully that will solve your problem

I'll check my cables tonight when I get back home.

ton

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:32:55 AM »
Hi Gurney,

Thanks for the updates. I'm using TS cables (standard keyboard instrument cable) and would like to see a higher output level too !
Don't have any TRS cables lying around, so I'm interested to hear if there's a difference noticed by other users.

Regards,
Ton
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:58:22 AM by ton »

gurney

• The Kat's Meow
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:15:03 PM »
Hi Ton,

So, to make a long story short: TRS cables make a huge change.

I purchased 2 sets of TRS -> XLR cables (one short pair to use at home, and one 10m pair for concerts). The output volume is significantly higher than with the standard mono jacks I was using (of course with the same settings on the mix table). This is going to be a life changer, and as a bonus I get all the niceties of using balanced cables, esp. the noise cancelation, and the guy running the mix table during our concerts is happy to get XLR inputs.

So my advice is for everyone using the KS sound engine to get TRS cables, and you'll be able to really enjoy it. I suggested Mario to add this information in the user manual because it is really very important to get the best experience out of the Kat.

Happy jamming to you all.

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »
Not just at the desk but beyond.  Any recordings are going to want the best signal-to-noise you can get to keep the mix clean.

ton

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »
Hi Gurney,

Thanks for trying and letting us know!

Regards,
Ton

Viktor Benev

• Cool Kat
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the information! I've got a little tech question connected with those cables.

If i use external guitare effects like delay, distortion, etc. what cables should i use to connect the MalletKat with those effects? I haven't seen patch TRS cables, so i guess it would be TS cables from Kat to the effects and then TRS from the last effect to the combo/mixer ? Would that still give me a good balanced output or all the cables running from the instrument have to be TRS to obtain that good output level?

ton

• The Kat's Meow
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 08:10:49 AM »
I think it'll depend on your effects. But I think you'll loose the balanced signal.

If you're afraid of signal loss or disturbance between effects and sound board, you might considering a DI-box

gurney

• The Kat's Meow
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 05:19:37 AM »
Ton,

I'm pretty sure you can get TRS patch cables (e.g. sssnake SK369S-03).

The thing is you need to plug in an TRS jack in the Kat. The problem is, what is your effect box input connector accepting ? I *think* plugging a TRS cable in a mono input is OK, but I'd confirm this with my local hardware dealer, but you may be loosing power (see http://www.presonus.com/news/articles/balanced-unbalanced). Otherwise I'm pretty sure you can find converters.