Author Topic: Note-off vs. Note-on with velocity of zero  (Read 1118 times)

Gburks

• Cool Kat
Note-off vs. Note-on with velocity of zero
« on: July 18, 2016, 05:28:18 PM »
I am having an issue with the way my DAW and sound modules interpret my DrumKAT's method of sending Note-Off.

Looking at a midi monitor, I noticed that most of my midi gear stops a sound by sending a Note-On of velocity zero.  The DrumKAT sends a Note-Off.

The issue is that my sound module is truncating my drum sounds after the gate time expires.  If I set the gate time to really long values, the piano roll view in my DAW is very hard to work with (think about back to back overlapping 1 second long ride cymbal notes).  It does not have a drum map view that only shows hits without note length.

I have an AKAI MPD drum pad that sends Note-On with value of zero with I release the pad, and my sound module seems to treat these as "one-shot" sounds and plays the whole sound without truncating.  However, when I play the same sounds with the DrumKAT, the Note-Off messages immediately truncate the sound.

Is there a setting on the DrumKAT 3.5 to tell to send Note-On velocity of zero format rather than Note-Offs?

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Re: Note-off vs. Note-on with velocity of zero
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:12:05 AM »
The MIDI standard defines Note On with velocity zero to mean Note Off (with velocity zero), so all MIDI-compliant equipment should honour that.

Gburks

• Cool Kat
Re: Note-off vs. Note-on with velocity of zero
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 09:41:33 AM »
The MIDI standard defines Note On with velocity zero to mean Note Off (with velocity zero), so all MIDI-compliant equipment should honour that.

My point is that most of my midi compliant hardware does send Note-On with velocity of zero for Note-Off.  However, my DrumKAT literally sends a different message, called "Note-Off," instead of note-on zero.

Is there a setting to make it send Note-On velocity zero instead?