Author Topic: eHAT sensitivity, chick velocity and splash [more or less solved]  (Read 505 times)

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Hi,

Just got a new eHAT plus pedal.  Mostly I like the feel - it's nicer using a normal pedal, somehow.

I like playing with a very large pedal range - from cymbals not touching down to tight.  Unfortunately, the eHAT sensor appears to have a really short range of detection, from inspecting the physical range of movement over which the value changes.

What's worse, the variation in value is from "first touch" on the sensor down only very, very slightly.  The rest of the movement range does not appear to register - it hits maximum really quickly.  That leads me to think maybe it's not set up right somewhere.

Obviously I've tried training.  Training data on my old DrumTech HATpedal was usually something like 60-105-150-240-255.  On the eHAT, it's coming out as 1-64-158-205-255 (the factory set up was 20-78-165-208-255).

There are  knock-on effects.  Actually triggering Chick and Splash sounds is difficult, requiring the pedal to be more-or-less fully released before pressing down.  I couldn't get decent velocity output, either - again, presumably because of the settings.

Anyone got any pointers?

Thanks,

-- Peter
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:36:42 AM by pljones »

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Re: eHAT sensitivity, chick velocity and splash
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »
OK, some progress :).

I'd unplugged the pedal to inspect it after my last use and today when I came to use it, forgot I'd never plugged it back in.  Couldn't understand why it was giving *not response* at all!  Retrained... got very weird figures... completely flat.  (Not really a surprise, huh?)  Manually set the values to something vaguely reasonable.  Still no response...  Then the light bulb went on..!  Try plugging it in...

Retrained.  And got 166-183-208-221-236 -- which worked pretty well.  I hadn't completely taken my foot off the pedal this time for "open", I'd left it where it's comfortable.  Now I think maybe if I moved the sensor back (away from me) to the point it was just picking up pressure at that point (i.e. where it registered 166 on this train), that would get *me* the best sensitivity.

So... I guess I should read the assembly manual now.

pljones

• KAT Diety
  • NINJAMmer
    • The Dwarfen Realm
Re: eHAT sensitivity, chick velocity and splash
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »
OK, moved -- I think -- the sensor to a different position (it's hard to watch the pedal underneath whilst using it naturally ;)) that I hope better reflects my use.  Retrained and got 0-47-117-152-188.  That's a decent range - I can get a good MIDI CC4 tracking - and I can also trigger Chick and Splash with decent velocities, although it's still a bit tricky on the splash (always was, though).  If I close the pedal too much on training, getting the chick to trigger is very difficult - the position I have to open to doesn't seem "right".  (There was a "velocity level" -- I don't know if it works -- I might try editing that at some point.)