Search the Knowledgebase
Browse by Category
How do you select a HiHat pad in the trapKAT?
There are 4 basic things that must be done to setup the hihat...
1. Select the pad(s) to be hihat.
2. Define sounds.
3. Assign foot controller.
4. Train your pedal.
When a HiHat pad is played, the Note that is sent out depends on whether the HiHat pedal is depressed or not. If the HiHat pedal is depressed a “Closed” Note will be played. If the HiHat pedal is not depressed, an “Open” Note will be played. The trapKAT needs to know which pads should be controlled by your HiHat pedal position. To select a pad to be a HiHat pad, do the following:
1. Depress the KIT/PAD EDIT footswitch and hit Pad5. The display will show which pads have been selected to be HiHat pads: <<<01 hihatpads="">>>
2. If you strike Pad5 a second time the display will show: <<
Thank you for rating this answer.
>> The second line is blank because your HiHat pads have been de-selected. The pads you hit next will be your HiHat pads now.
3. If you want to change where your HiHat pads are, hit the pads you want. Or, if you want to keep the HiHats where they were, hit Pad4: <<01>
4. Then hit Pad1: << >>
5. Release the KIT/PAD EDIT footswitch. You may select up to four pads to be HiHat pads independently in each KIT. Whenever you change which pad is a HiHat pad, you will often need to change the sounds assigned to that pad to make it really be a HiHat.
DEFINING SETTINGS FOR OPEN, CLOSED, and CHICK: Changing the settings for Open, Closed, and Chick sounds is pretty straight ahead. Here’s how: Changing Open Settings: Editing the Open settings for a HiHat pad is simple. Everything is exactly the same as for a normal pad. For editing Notes use the NOTE EDIT footswitch as described previously. For Channel, Velocities, and Gate Time use the KIT/PAD EDIT footswitch as described previously. Changing Closed Settings: Editing the Closed settings is the same as usual with one exception also have the HiHat pedal depressed when performing the editing functions. An example will make this clear. To change the Note for the Closed sound do the following:
1. Depress the NOTE EDIT footswitch.
2. Depress the HiHat pedal also.
3. While they are both depressed, hit the pad you want to change the Closed setting for. Since the HiHat is depressed when you struck the pad, you will access the Closed sound for that pad: << >>
4. If you now hit Pad6 again (with both the NOTE EDIT footswitch and the HiHat pedal still depressed), the Note value will increment.
5. To decrement, “quick-click” the NOTE EDIT footswitch as described previously. To change the other settings, like Channel, Velocities, and Gate Time, use the KIT/PAD EDIT footswitch with the HiHat pedal depressed. Changing Chick Settings: To change the Chick (or HiHat foot) settings, do the same editing procedures as normal except simply “Chick” your HiHat pedal instead of hitting a pad. Here’s an example: To change the Minimum Velocity for the Chick sound do the following:
1. Depress the KIT/PAD EDIT footswitch.
2. Close the HiHat pedal and release it to play a Chick. The display will say: << >>
3. If you now Chick the HiHat pedal again (with the KIT/PAD EDIT footswitch still depressed), the Note value will increment.
4. To decrement, “quick-click” the KIT/PAD footswitch as described previously.
See p.21-25 in the trapKAT manual or HERE - [how to select hihat pads].
Other HiHat topics: Foot Control Assign, Train HiHat pedal, defining Splash.
No attachments were found.